As the days, weeks, months count down to that day when we meet this littlest one face to face, I can't stop thinking about that day I first began this journey of motherhood.
Though it was a beginning I hadn't quite expected, I'll never forget holding her in my arms the first time whispering words of love bursting from this new mother's heart of mine and seeing her sweet little face stare at me as if to say, "yes, you're my mommy".
The day we finally left the NICU and drove home with our newborn baby girl, my heart was full. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was really and truly ours.
But I'll also never forget how exhausting, overwhelming, and just plain hard those first few weeks were. I have always longed to be a momma, but I never realized how all consuming it would be...and how much I would have to give of myself for the sake of this tiny, helpless babe.
No matter how much preparation I made for this little one, I was wholly unprepared for the realities of motherhood. And no matter how many mommies I had observed or babysitting opportunities I had taken before, no one can really understand motherhood until you are in the thick of it.
The only thing I can do is to fall to my knees daily, filling my heart and soul with the truth of His word and submitting to the only One who can walk me down every road less traveled and give me strength for the bends and twists in the road.
I know the days ahead will not be easy, as our home expands from a family of four to a family of five and from two little ones to three. If my hands were full before, they will be fuller soon. But, even more so, my heart will be fuller and our home will be more complete.
A few reminders to myself and any mommy of a newborn...
You will be sleep deprived and overwhelmed, but these days are fleeting. All too soon this tiny, helpless babe will be an independent, always on the go toddler. Babies don't keep...they really do grow so fast.
The dishes, the laundry, the housecleaning...it will be there tomorrow and the day after and every day for the rest of your life. But these little ones will keep growing and before you know it, the house will be quiet and you will miss these moments.
This little one in your arms is a gift and a blessing. Don't forget your purpose, your calling, your mission is given straight from the arms of the Creator God. This is exactly where you belong and it is good.
When your husband walks through the door at the end of another work day, remember that he has had a long day too. Give each other grace and remember that you are in this together.
And when he asks you what you did today amidst the piles of laundry and dishes, smile and say that you spent your day loving on your little ones and giving them your all.
There will be days when you feel like you have no strength left, when it feels like you can't go on, but His strength is always enough and His grace is more than sufficient.
And though you make a mistake today, He is gracious enough to forgive a repentant heart and cast your sins as far as the east is from the west. Yesterday's failures are forgotten; live for today and walk in Him.



Oh I love this....And need the reminder, especially about the walking in the door part...heh.
ReplyDeleteThis was my favorite: I have always longed to be a momma, but I never realized how all consuming it would be...and how much I would have to give of myself...
I think many of us enter motherhood like that. whether it's b/c we're not near our mothers, or b/c women of previous generations didn't talk about the hard stuff, I feel like many of us were unprepared for it to be so hard.
Oh, yes.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I think I needed that reminder about my husband walking in the door and needing grace, too, as the mommy of an almost 3 and almost 5 year old!