Those who know me well know I thrive on routine and schedules. I love to plan and organize and feel prepared for what's to come. But, the moment labor was induced with my daughter I realized life doesn't always happen as planned.
Life is filled with unexpected twists and turns, surprise delays and departures, and roads less traveled. The more I plan, the more God reminds me that His plans are not mine.
And while His plans seem spontaneous and random, they are really more intricate and purposeful than I can comprehend. What might look like an unexpected detour is simply a small piece of the bigger picture, His bigger picture.
There is no such thing as a plan B, because He is never surprised by what tomorrow brings. My plans may go awry, but His plans are never shaken.
I plan to wake early to meditate on His truths before my little ones rub their sleepy eyes and pitter patter their way to my arms, but my own sleepy eyes won't budge or a little one crawls into our bed before the sun even rises.
I planned to have a natural, drug-free labor and delivery, but my daughter insists on arriving sunny side up and my son insists on exhausting me with a long, exhausting labor.
I may plan to wash and fold and put away that pile of laundry, but the simply spoken word of "mommy" draw me away from my best intentions at housework.
I make plans to prepare a healthy meal from scratch before my husband's heavy feet plod through the door, but nap time lingers longer and the little one growing in my womb forces me to slow down.
Sometimes the best laid plans are the ones I don't plan at all, but the ones where I simply let life happen...or, rather, when I embrace the plans He has for me and allow Him to write my story.
Linking up with Jade for this week's Bigger Picture Moments.A winner has been chosen for the My Blog Spark: Cheerios Review & Giveaway - see the original post for the announcement.
Don't forget to enter my Virtual Mercy Party: Mercy House Review & Giveaway - ends tomorrow at 1:00 pm CST!

Oh, slow down. Be in the moment. Feel that baby move inside you and revel in the miracle that is now! It goes so quickly. I know everyone says that, but everyone does because it is so true.
ReplyDeleteSo true, so true! This was a hard one for me to learn - to let God's timing lead the way. And I still find myself planting my feet at times when God is opening a path in front of me. Lovely reminder to listen for His voice every day!
ReplyDeleteYes! Yes! Yes! I am learning more and more each day to trust in His plans, big and small. You are so right, they are no surprise to Him. And you know what excites me soo much? Getting to Heaven and finally understanding all of the plans He had for me. Understanding why everything happened the way they did, why certain things didn't happen, etc. So exciting to get a glimpse of His plan for my life.
ReplyDeleteAnd a plan NOT to do the laundry? That's A-OK in my book. ;)
so true... surrendering to His plan for our lives. loved your post!
ReplyDeleteSometimes it seems our plans are but foolishness to the Lord ... I love stepping into a new day with no agenda. We're trying for that more this summer.
ReplyDelete