Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Child Training Bible Review & Giveaway

This giveaway is now CLOSED!  

UPDATE: The original winner has not responded, so I picked a NEW winner.  Congratulations to  Kate (comment #53) of Called Out One



Child Training Bible #1


Several months ago I discovered Pinterest.  I wasn't sure I would like it, but now I'm definitely hooked.  I love being able to save links all in one place and having a visual to find the links later makes it so much easier to actually use the ideas I've found.  One pin I came across was for a Child Training Bible.  I was so intrigued by it that I searched for more information and discovered their website and facebook page.

As a young mom, I often find myself struggling to know the best way to discipline and raise up these little ones in the way they should go.  Sure, I have plenty of women who have gone before me offering advice and wisdom, but, ultimately, my husband and I have to make the decisions that are best for our family.  One night I said to my husband, "I wish there was a manual for parenting" and, without missing a beat, he replied, "There is; it's called the bible".

My husband and I know that our children are a gift from God and that it is our responsibility to teach them to know and love Him so that when they are grown they will not walk away from Him.  But sometimes it's hard to know where to begin when searching his Word.  The more I read about the Child Training Bible, the more I thought, "We really need one for OUR home!".  So, I decided to contact the company asking if they'd be willing to offer a review and possibly a giveaway as well on my blog.

They were more than happy to do both and sent it out right away.  I finally got around to putting it together this week.  The Child Training Bible kit comes with four laminated cards and an instruction sheet, but requires a bible, highlighters, post it notes, and time to put it together.  I decided to use my NIV bible from college, because I most often use my ESV study bible for my own devotions and I knew the NIV is written in a way that is easier for our kids to understand.

Child Training Bible #2


I wish the kit came with at least the post it notes, because it took me a while to round up the right colors needed for it.  I didn't want to go out and purchase them, so I scrounged through my totes of scrapbooking and school supplies in the basement.  I didn't find blue post its, but I just used some white post its and colored them with the highlighter and crayon used for the light blue and dark blue verses.

When I explained the kit to my husband, he said he thought it seemed more time consuming than it was worth.  As I put it together, however, I began to see how important it was for me to actually see the process instead of having it all put together to begin with.  It may have taken all morning, but I found myself soaking up and being encouraged by the Words He has given us.  The highlighters and tabs are for categorizing verses from verses about disobedience to discouragement and, while it is meant as a parenting tool, I found it was just as useful for me in my own walk.

As a visual learner, I also found the color coding and tabs to be very helpful for me.  I've already used it a few times to find Ephesians 6:1 for the kids to memorize and soaked up the verses about discouragement and fear for myself.  My kids are very curious about it too and, as they grow I look forward to showing them how to use the tabs to look up verses on their own.

Child Training Bible #3


***

I'm excited to not only share about this wonderful parenting tool, but to offer ONE of my readers their very own Child Training Bible kit.  To enter this giveaway, simply answer this question: What is one verse that you have found helpful in your own parenting journey?

For extra entries:

1. LIKE Child Training Bible on facebook. (Make sure to choose "Show in Newsfeed" under the LIKE button so my posts show up in your newsfeed.)

2. Browse their website and tell me something else you learned about this great resource.

3. LIKE my blog on facebook.  (Make sure to choose "Show in Newsfeed" under the LIKE button so my posts show up in your newsfeed.)

4. Follow my blog by email, Google Friend Connect, or Networked Blogs.  (See links on the bottom of my blog if you haven't already signed up to follow through one of these methods.)

5. Share this giveaway on facebook or twitter.  (Make sure to share the link to your post or tweet in the comments to verify this entry.)

This giveaway will be open until Wednesday, June 13th at 1:00 pm CST. 

Disclosure: I received a free copy of the Child Training Bible kit and the giveaway in exchange for my honest opinions. 

 

56 comments:

  1. Hey Steph!
    Yes, I really, really want one! I've never heard of it before, and when looking over their website, I realized what an amazing tool is it not only for children, but also for adults. What a great way to pick out one (or a multitude) of different feelings and things we struggle with and be able to turn right to a scripture verse that applies to it.
    I would certainly love to have one!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/jessica.schaumburg13/posts/289440234485361?notif_t=share_comment

    I shared the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaand, I followed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already 'like' CTB on FB :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already 'like' you on FB :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.childtrainingbible.com/p/about.html

    CTB was designed by a homeschool mother of 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shared you on FB :)

    https://www.facebook.com/NutterCloth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shared on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been trying to win one for ages!
    we have 4 children (homeschooled and military family) that I would love to use for :)
    I learned how simple it seems to use and all the wonderful tabs! I definitely need organization!
    I already follow all pages (and love!), shared, commented, etc!

    Shalom and blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything trust Jesus. (abbreviated) :)

    I already like both your blog and CT Bible on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want this....and now that we are not in church I really could use its help

    ReplyDelete
  13. verse helpful: trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how they included question and suggested prayers with each issue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luke 2:52 And Jesus grew in wisdom, stature and in favor with God and men! (I tell my boys that these are the things they should be focusing on right now! "grow up and love Jesus." )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Proverbs 16:24! I just ordered the CTB a few days ago, so if I win I will be giving this one to my BFF who also have 4 little ones. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deut 6:5-9: 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters. Love each other deeply with all your heart. 1 Peter 1:22

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like CTB on facebook. Tranhasmail@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I already liked CTB on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Favorite parenting verse - 1 Cor 13. Love is..... because sometimes I just need a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've "LIKED" the CTB on Facebook! woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. following your Blog now too! yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tweet about the giveaway.
    https://twitter.com/peiwenlu2000/status/210589292068749314

    ReplyDelete
  25. Proverbs 15:1
    A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They provide suggested prayers for different areas to work on with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Posted to twitter. For some reason I'm having trouble pasting the link here, but my twitter user name is @PHomemaker.

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires." ~ James 1:19-20

    ReplyDelete
  29. I learned that it was created by a homeschooling mother of four!

    momkaboodle at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like you on FB! (as Stephanie Dakin)

    momkaboodle at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. thanks for the giveaway:) one vrs that helps me threw parenting journey is Romans 12:12 Be joyful in hope patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. There is many diferent vrs, but this one helps in all stages of life, wile they grow. thanks for the giveaway:) jennie the_tabers@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  32. i LIKE Child Training Bible on facebook jennie the_tabers@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. i likes Girl of grace on facebook the_tabers@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like the vidio on how to set it up, as some one who is a visual this helps:) thanks jennie the_tabers@cocast.net

    ReplyDelete
  35. something i learned. and loved to learn:
    CTB Scriptures address both negative and positive responses with the emphasis on Jesus Himself, His perfect life as an example and gift to us.

    ReplyDelete
  36. parenting verse:

    Ephesians 6:1
    1 Children, obey your parents as believers in the Lord. Obey them because it's the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  37. fb shared this! which i'm sure you'll see. i'm really excited about this. this was a suggested Bible study to do with the kids. well not "study" but a help. and i'm praying i win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just one verse, ha! "Be still and know that I am God" gets me through a lot of days!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I "like" your blog on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I "like" Child Training bible on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I learned that Mindy (the creator of the CTB) is also a homeschooling mom. :)
    I just ordered one but would love one to give to my oldest, who just had twins last week!

    ReplyDelete