Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fresh Brewed Sundays: He is Coming


Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts.


They shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him. 

Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him.  


(Malachi 3:1, 17-18)
After Haggai and Zechariah reproved the people of Israel for delaying the rebuilding of the temple, God sent Malachi for dishonoring the very temple they had rebuilt.  Yet, after he finishes his admonitions, he shares the promises God has for those who serve Him - the coming of the long awaited Messiah, the one he calls messenger.

I love the words of The Jesus Storybook Bible about the books of Ezra, Nehemiah, and Malachi.  It says that the people of Israel had disobeyed God, but after hearing the words of the prophets, they wept for their sin.  God heard their cries and spoke words of forgiveness, unconditional love, and unmerited favor.
I can't stop loving you.
You are my heart's treasure.
But I lost you.
Now I am coming back for you.


I am like the sun that gently shines on you,
chasing away darkness and fear and death.
You'll be so happy - 

you'll be like little calves running free
in an open field.


I am going to send my Messenger - The Promised One.
The One you have been waiting for.
The Rescuer.


He is coming.  So, get ready!
(page 174, The Jesus Storybook Bible)
 Do you know, dear ones, how God treasures you?  No matter how far you may have strayed, no matter how many times you've heard Him calling to you and ignored it, no matter how much you've messed up, He will come back for you.  Because He will never stop loving you.

He has come, the long awaited One, the One born in a manger, wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.  And He came to rescue the ones He loves, to call them back to His loving arms.  Do you hear Him calling your name?  Don't wait...because one day it will be too late.  He has come.  Are you ready to believe in Him?

 ***

Linking up with Barbie at My Freshly Brewed Life for her new series, Fresh Brewed Sundays, where we share a "fresh brewed word to encourage the hearts of those who stop by to read". 

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie, what a great portion of scripture. And I love how it is stated in the Story Bible. Thanks for linking up, even without the official linky! So thankful to have you with me on this!

    ReplyDelete