Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Just Write: Running the Race Well



Sometimes it's hard to keep on running
Photo source: Jennoit

I have so many thoughts running through my head right now and so many things I want to blog about...but how to narrow it down to just one?

This morning, I woke up before the sun, crawled out of bed, and went out in the 20 degree quiet morning to run.  I never thought I'd be that person who wakes up early just to run...or simply that person who runs.

But, the truth is, I love to run.  It's become such a part of me that even when I'm not running I'm thinking about running.

The other night, I started thinking about goals.  Right now, as a mom, my biggest goal is to simply love my kids so they never once doubt they are wanted and cherished and that one day they understand that my love is simply a picture of the love their Heavenly Father has for them.

On the drive home from the other day, my daughter began to ask me questions about God.  She wanted to know where He was and she was hungry for more.  As tears filled my eyes, I began to share with her some of my most precious gifts - the promises and hopes He has given me.  Her three year old mind may not understand yet, but I still want her to know that there is One who loves her even more than I can, enough to send His son to this earth.

In this holiday season of rushing and spending and worrying, I find myself desperate for quiet and peace and a reminder of what this season is all about.  We started doing an advent wreath at home, lighting the candles at dinner each night and reading a devotion.  Seeing that candle lighting our dinner table reminds me of the One who is the Light in the darkness and whose light will never falter or perish.

We put up the Christmas tree last night and my husband danced with the kids to Christmas music in the middle of the living room.  Despite my sour mood that day, I couldn't help but smile and pause to soak up the moment.  Because these simple moments are the sweetest and most precious.

I thought about my goals for running too.  I found a half marathon in September and actually put it on the calendar.  I've been contemplating making that a goal for a while and I finally decided I'm going to do it.  I want to cross that finish line knowing I've run the race well and finished what I set out to accomplish.

Because isn't that what life is about?  Running the race well, so that one day He will be able to say of me, "Well done, good and faithful servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment