Monday, November 21, 2011

November Simple Swap: Chicken & Lentil Bean Soup

We all want to live healthier, more intentional lives, but sometimes it seems overwhelming and daunting to take even small steps toward our ideals because there are so many steps before us.



Simple Swap was born out of a desire and passion to encourage other women on journeys toward living healthier, more inspired, intentional lifestyles through implementing one simple swap per month. 

Each swap will:
1. Take 30 minutes or less to accomplish
2. Be inexpensive to implement or boast overall, long-haul {health} savings 

3. Focus on improving health/eco-friendliness, being good stewards of our resources and/or fostering a creative and intentional life.



 ***
With Thanksgiving coming so soon, this month's Simple Swap is to swap out an unhealthy fat for a healthier one and share a recipe.  Hyacynth suggests using coconut oil in place of butter.  I've never used coconut oil, but I do love a similar swap, grapeseed oil.  
 Here are just a few of the wonderful benefits of grapeseed oil
  • There are NO preservatives such as TBHQ or BHT.
  • It is NOT hydrogenated.
  • There is NO sodium.
  • NO trans fatty acids.
  • NO cholesterol (it actually aids in cholesterol reduction).
  • It has one of the lowest levels of saturated fats of all oils. 
  • It is easily digestible 
 I've been using grapeseed oil for a few years already, which is one of the reasons I fell in love with Wildtree and decided to be a consultant.  

Another swap I've used for years is ground turkey or chicken in place of ground beef.  My mom taught me that swap, because it was a healthier and cheaper option for our big family.   
For this month's simple swap, I decided to try something new too: swapping beans in place of red meat.  My cousin, Stacy, made a delicious lentil bean soup when we visited her the last time and I decided to incorporate lentil beans in my own recipes.  
 
I combined my two favorite swaps, grapeseed oil and ground chicken, with the lentil beans to make a delicious soup recipe that our whole family could enjoy. 


Chicken & Lentil Bean Soup

1 pound ground chicken cooked in 1/2 TBSP grapeseed oil
1 bag frozen veggies or fresh vegetables of your choice
1 container of chicken broth
salt and pepper to season

Add all plus water (depending on how much "broth" you want to have in your soup) into a large cooking pot.  Heat until boiling and then reduce heat and simmer with cover for about an hour.  I often get a soup cooking when my husband goes out for a bike ride and then we'll enjoy it when he comes home an hour to an hour and a half later.  Enjoy with your favorite bread or crackers and a hot cup of tea.

Don't forget to check out the two giveaways I put up over the weekend - a Courageous resolution print and Earth Mama Angel Baby organic liquid soap

2 comments:

  1. thank you for this recipe! It looks splendid. I have got to try grapeseed oil!

    ReplyDelete