Today was my first day "back" as a stay-at-home mom. I have learned to appreciate the blessing it is to stay home with my little ones after being away from them for six weeks to substitute teach. This morning, after waking up early and going for a morning run, I felt energized and ready to enjoy my day. (Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but try it sometime. It is really a GREAT way to start the day!)
After eating breakfast, I pulled out our school supplies and did some mini tot school lessons with letter tracing with some Sesame Street learning books I found off a daily deal site and matching colors and shapes using Busy Bugs Learning Set from Discovery Toys. I was amazed how much more she can understand since the last time we had tot school almost two months ago.
In fact, both our kids have grown so much in the last two months. Suddenly they are both speaking in complete sentences and having conversations with us. Last week, they were chasing each other around my parents' house and Valerie would yell, "Yezzo, come here!" and he would respond, "I coming!" as he ran after her. Then, he would hide around a corner and whisper to my mom, "Where mommy go?" and when I would find him he would say, "hi, mommy!"
On Saturday, Almanzo had his first ever haircut. I know, he's already two, but the poor little guy barely had any hair even at one! He finally had enough hair that it was getting in his eyes and he almost had a mullet in the back. I kept putting it off though, because I knew the moment he got it cut he would suddenly look like a toddler and not like my little baby anymore. I guess it was time to face the inevitable, but why must they grow so fast?
This morning we also took some time to take a walk around the block to the corner store. We were out of dishwasher detergent and I really had no desire to drive anywhere today. The kids took their little bikes, but, of course, half way there they both decided it was better to walk. Somehow we made it there and halfway back before I ended up carrying both their bikes home. It was a little chilly too, but we enjoyed the fresh air and a little exercise.
After nap time, we turned on some Christmas music and danced like crazy in the living room. I love how much my kids enjoy music and want to dance along with it. Today, I even caught Almanzo starting to sing the Sesame Street theme song. He could only say "sunny days!", but he actually had the right tune! And, of course, our little singing diva is always making up songs and singing at the top of her lungs. There are times I have to ask her to be quiet...which usually results in her belting out her song even louder for a grand finale. She is quite the character!
Just before dinner, I decided to start a new family tradition of advent devotionals. I found this Advent Calendar with daily activities and bible readings from Thriving Family to make the focus of this season where it should be - on the One who came to this earth as a helpless little baby, God in the flesh. I started a day late, but I was amazed at how well Valerie caught on to the concept of God creating the world. During dinner, she kept asking me, "God made Yezzo? And mommy? And daddy? And me?" Then, as she ate her salmon, she said, "God made fish!" There's nothing sweeter than the faith of a child!
I'm also hoping to start using Ann's free Jesse Tree devotional as a family. The devotions are a little more complex than our kids would understand, so Ted and I may do them as a couple, but I love the idea of a Jesse Tree. (You can get this e-book for free too by signing up for emails from Ann's blog, A Holy Experience. Believe me, you will be blessed by her words each and every day.)
"Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall! Blessed are the people whose God is the LORD!" (Psalm 144:15)
***
The winner of the Courageous Giveaway is: Linda
The winner of the Earth Mama Angel Baby Giveaway is: Stacy
Congratulations winners! I've sent you each an email for you to claim your prize. And a huge thank you to Dayspring and EMAB for offering these great giveaways!

No comments:
Post a Comment