Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bigger Picture Moment: Moments Like This


"Mommy, I love you."

Four simple words that have the power to melt my heart and pause time for one simple moment in time.  They are words I've been waiting to hear.  I've watched as friends have shared their first moments of "I love you" with their little ones and longed for the day my daughter would whisper the same words to me. 

As a child, I never once doubted my parents' love for me.  My mom would tuck us into bed at night and always, always remind us how much she loved us.  My dad didn't say the words as often, but often spoke the words through his actions, a simple hug, a smile to brighten my day, or simply the gift of his time.  During my college years, my dad would often send me a care package with a hand written note from him.  My mom would mail me simple cards every so often just to say, "I love you". 

I have carried that same language of love into my own parenting.  I never want my children to go through a day without hearing me say "I love you".  I want them to know my love in the time that I take to sit still, forgetting the laundry, dishes, and never ending tasks of motherhood, simply to be with them in the moment. 

So, when my son climbed into my arms the other night, looked me in the eyes, and said, "I love you, mommy", my heart was full.  I immediately forgot the "task" I had felt just moments before that I just had to get done.  All that mattered in that moment was to soak up my son's love and remind him that he has a mommy who loves him too. 

That kind of love is what I want my children to carry on to the next generation too - love spoken through words, a gentle hug, and the simple attention of my time. 

Valerie and Almanzo, I love you too...and I will love you forever and for always. 

I'm linking up with Bigger Picture Blogs for a Bigger Picture Moment today.

2 comments:

  1. this words are such treasures, aren't they? This is a beautiful post, it made me smile about my kids as I sit here at work thinking about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygoodness, yes, those first confessions of love from their little lips are just absolute gifts. They make my heart all melty and happy thinking of what a blessing these littles are to our lives.

    ReplyDelete