Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Earth Mama Angel Baby: A Review & Giveaway


 As most of you know, I love all things natural and organic.  My husband likes to call me a "tofu-eating tree-hugger" (even though I've never actually eaten tofu or hugged a tree) and laughs at how he never expected me to be all about cloth diapering, natural household cleaners, babywearing, and organic foods.  When I first began to seriously consider cloth diapering, I realized there was so much more to being eco-conscious.  I began to learn all about natural and organic products and wondered why I never bothered to look at the ingredient list of products.  Now that I know some of the scary things that can be found in common household cleaning and hygiene products, there was no turning back.

I have learned to make my own household cleaners and look carefully at ingredient lists before I purchase anything.  I try to avoid pre-packaged foods altogether, because there are so many preservatives in them.  It makes me wonder if the rise in illnesses like asthma and cancer could be related to the chemicals that are so widely used in so many products.  At any rate, it has set me on a mission to find products that are safe and healthy for my family.

I stopped using Huggies and Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo and lotion after a friend sent me this article in an email.  I started using Aveeno, but whenever my daughter's diaper rash flares up again, it would only make it worse.  I love the smell of Aveeno baby products, but wondered if there was a better option for our family.  Then I went to Cupcake and started talking to Julie about Earth Mama Angel Baby and was super excited to find some samples of their diaper cream in my swag bag.  I forgot about Julie's connection to the company until I left a message on their facebook wall asking if I could do a review/giveaway.  Julie emailed me back and said she'd love to give me the opportunity.  Thanks Julie!

Earth Mama Angel Baby sent me four great products to try:

As I mentioned before I love, love, LOVE their diaper cream.  It is one of very few diaper creams I can use on my daughter's sensitive little bottom.  You can also use this product to heal your own dry skin, to treat burns, or to soothe "gazillions of other owies that come your family's way".  
I was really excited to try their Diaper Rash Soap too, because I wanted to see if it would help heal the scars my Sweet Pea still has from the awful diaper rash she had over the summer and wanted something to use if it comes back again.  Two of the ingredients are things I already love to use - organic coconut oil and tea tree oil.  The best part is it contains no artificial preservatives, formaldehyde, phthalates, or artificial dyes/fragrances.  I used it on my daughter a few times this week and was amazed at how much better her little bottom looked after several uses.  

Remember how I said I loved the smell of Aveeno body wash?  Well, Angel Baby Shampoo & Body Wash smells even better!  Like all other Earth Mama Angel Baby products, it's made with all natural ingredients that are pure and safe for your baby.  One thing I've learned about most baby shampoos is that the ingredient that makes them "tear-free" are chemicals that can be harmful to your baby.  This shampoo doesn't contain those ingredients, so, while you have to be careful not to get it in your baby's eyes, you can rest assured you are using a product that is much safer.  

Julie encouraged me to try something for myself, so I picked out this Monthly Comfort Tea.  Their website says it is "created to jumpstart recovery immediately after childbirth, and also for "that time of the month" when hormones are raging and your uterus and you could use some extra care".  I am one of those unlucky (or lucky if you are all about natural family planning) moms who starts her cycles just five weeks after giving birth.  Plus, I love tea, so I was excited to try this.  I received it a little late to try it during "that time of the month", but still enjoyed a soothing cup of tea.  

Would you like to try some of these products?  Earth Mama Angel Baby has offered a $25 gift certificate to one of my blog readers.  All you have to do is go to the Earth Mama Angel Baby website and leave a comment with a product (or two...or three...or four...it's easy to get carried away!) that you would love to try if you win.  

For extra entries:

1. Become a fan of Earth Mama Angel Baby on Facebook.  

2. Follow me (Mom2Valerie) and Earth Mama Angel Baby (mamamelinda) on Twitter.

3. Tweet about this giveaway once per day and leave the hyperlink of your tweet in a comment.  (See my Twitter profile for a sample tweet.)

4. Follow my blog with Google Friend Connect or by email (but make sure to verify your subscription). 

This giveaway will be open until 10:00 pm (CST) on Tuesday, March 2nd.  

43 comments:

  1. How funny! I was literally on their website last night, looking around! I would love to win something from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amanda had mention the diaper rash cream works really well and i was just looking last night at it....i would love to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a fan of earth mama on facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to try any and all of their products! I'm especially interested in their soaps and lotions. I'm also concerned about my daughters exposure to chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I follow you both on Twitters. Shew, can you tell I wanna win this one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have great products! I have their new mama bottom spray and I really like it. I would prolly use it on the Angel Baby Kit or the Labor Ease Kit.

    I'm totally with you on all the natural and organic products. I never thought much about it until I had Kyndra. None of the hygiene products I use on Kyndra and I contain any harsh chemicals. I use Burt's Bees and a soap from the Mellow Yellow Soap Company and I also use Nature's Baby Organics on Kyndra. I did buy some Aveeno baby for this winter since it was a thicker lotion but I don't like that it has petrolatum in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny how cloth diapers led you to safer cleaning products and safer cleaning products led me to cloth diapers... ☺ I'm so glad you shared that article. And I too believe that there is a connection between the chemicals in food and personal, and cleaning products and the link to many diseases and especially asthma, autism, adhd, allergies, and cancer.

    Ooo! It was so hard to pick a product like you said. I'd love to try the bath blossoms, bottom balm, and baby wash for my Buddy Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want to try the hot spot labor sock. that would be great when i'm in labor!! plus more of the bottom balm..i love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and i'm their fan on facebook. ((i'm a fan of yours too! :0) ))

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I won, I'd defintely purchase some of the Angel Baby lotion. The sample from Cupcake was awesome. What a great givewaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been a follower of your blog, but I just officially subscribed. You have such nice giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://twitter.com/amandap22/status/9648561811

    a tweet. i haven't been on there FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  13. follow you both on twitter (@amandap22)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would to try out both the bottom balm and the shampoo and body wash when Miss Alvia arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just became a fan of Earth Mama Angel Baby on FB tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi cuz - finally checked out the website. The Happy Feet product sounds wonderful for my awful feet right now. I'd love to win this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I follow you both on twitter (@sfoofie)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tweeted, but I'm not sure how to post the specific tweet link to the tweet like Amanda did above. see my @sfoofie feed on twitter to confirm ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would LOVE to try the diaper rash cream! we are using California baby right now but it's not working as well as i would like!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i follow both of you on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. http://twitter.com/amandap22/status/9681373566

    a daily tweet. (surprised i remembered.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://twitter.com/amandap22/status/9735203735

    another daily tweet.

    and i also want you to know i'm praying for you and everything going on. it gets so overwhelming sometimes. and those are the times i realize i'm trying to do it all in my own strength and without god. keep on keeping on because it is all just a season. even though it feels like a long one. soon we'll be crying together because our babies will be moving out and getting married!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to try their baby lotion... My little guy has such sensitive tender skin. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just became a fan on facebook too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great giveaway! I would love to have the no more milk tea to use once Aubrey begins to wean. I am sure it will be a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://twitter.com/amandap22/status/9809675654

    i'm really hoping to win! can you tell? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  27. http://twitter.com/amandap22/status/9842262387

    last daily tweet. hoping my efforts pay off!! i've been using my bottom balm like crazy on dustin because he's on antibiotics for an ear infection...so i'm going to need some soon!! :0) loved your blog parade post. i'm doing one too. little house would be so much fun to see on stage!! and i would love that time of life too. except i'm probably too spoiled and a little more like nellie!! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmm..I'm bummed I don't think I had any of that shampoo in my goody bag from Cupcake! There was the diaper rash balm but that's not so much a problem over here. I'd love to try out that shampoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I keep forgetting to add that if I were to win I would be really excited to try the bottom balm. With my babies' sensitive skin I'm always looking for something to help with the excema and such :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. http://twitter.com/amandap22/status/9892117601

    didn't realize i could have another chance!! :0) yay!

    ReplyDelete