Saturday, October 17, 2009

One Week Old

Wow...it's hard to believe our Little Pumpkin is already 1 week old...and yet, so much has happened in his first week of life that it sometimes feels like it's been more than a week.  We are SO enjoying getting to know our sweet little guy.  We've already determined he's a momma's boy.  He LOVES to be close to me, so I carry him in a sling and sleep with him curled up in my arms.  He also nurses like a champ.  In fact, he knew exactly what to do right away and LOVES his momma's milk.  He's still a little sleepy, so I sometimes have to coax him to wake up and eat.  For the most part, he nurses every two hours during the day and every three to four hours during the night.  Of course, every night is different, but we have been blessed to get plenty of rest during the night.


Mom, who is this...and what is he doing in my house?

His big sister, our Sweet Pea, is still getting used to having him around taking up momma's attention.  She's very curious about him, but hasn't gotten too close to worry me yet.  She does, however, think his swing is a great toy and has fun climbing into his bouncy seat when he's not in it.  She also has picked up his pacifier several times to suck on it...which is especially funny, because she never really liked it as a baby.  Our little guy, on the other hand, LOVES it.  He gets mad if it falls out of his mouth in between feedings, because he constantly has to be sucking on something.

It's hard to believe our Sweet Pea was once so little - she looks HUGE to us now.  In fact, some of her diapers are too small again, so I'm pretty sure she's going through another growth spurt.  She's quite the silly girl too, constantly entertaining us with her baby babble, silly faces, and hilarious dancing skills.  According to my parents, she also started saying 'doggy' while she was at their house, because she LOVES their dog.  Ted's disappointed that she doesn't say 'daddy' often enough!

We've slowly been adjusting to life as a family of four.  Ted worked half days on Thursday and Friday and has also taken a break from his bike training.  I'm learning to just take things slowly, one day at a time...and remember that I can't do EVERYthing.  Valerie had her first big meltdown tonight, which was really hard for me.  She started to get tired and crabby for her second nap the moment I started nursing him.  Ted was outside cleaning up the yard and I couldn't get his attention, so she stood at my side whining and crying the whole time I fed him.  Then, after nap time, she was really mad that mom didn't come get her right away, so she really started crying.  It probably took us a good hour to calm her down.  We think she may have had a slight fever due to the shot she got yesterday too, so she was extra crabby.  We finally got her settled down though...mostly by taking turns holding her and then turning on Veggie Tales and Praise Baby.  I'm a little nervous about how the evenings will go once Ted is back to training on his bike...

Yesterday, we had a color/weight check for our Little Pumpkin and also brought our Sweet Pea in to get a flu shot.  Almanzo was slightly jaundice at the hospital, but is looking so much better.  He has also started to gain some weight, though it's hard to tell just how much.  His last weight at the hospital was 6 pounds, 5 1/2 ounces and his weight yesterday was 6 pounds, 6 ounces.    

Last night, we had our first visitors - my parents, my brother, Dan, and our neighbors.  My parents and brother really missed Valerie, after spending five days with her while Almanzo was in the hospital.  Plus, they wanted a chance to finally hold our Little Pumpkin.  Our neighbors were anxious to meet our sweet baby boy too.


Grandma's Little Treasure


Grandpa holding his grandson for the first time


Uncle Dan holding his nephew for the first time


Tracy & Luke were so sweet to bring a little gift for Valerie too...which she LOVED!


Luke wasn't too sure about this...but I think he'll make a great daddy someday too ;)


"I could just hold him ALL day long..."
(Be careful, Tracy...it's contagious!)

Today, we all ventured to the grocery store.  We used one of the carts with a little car attached to the front, so Valerie could ride in there.  She LOVED it.  And, of course, our Little Pumpkin slept through the whole adventure.


Let's get moving already!


Our sleepy Little Pumpkin
(wearing the cutest hat made by my friend Veronica)

Well, we're hoping to enjoy a quiet evening of movie watching...and then attempting to make it to church on time in the morning.  We can't wait to see our church family again!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like life is moving right along. Adjustments will take place from here on out huh? As long as we have children... and since they continue to grow and have different needs... adjusting is not an option! ha!

    Loved the pictures. Thanks so much for filling us in and sharing your sweet new baby. Still can't get over the name Almanzo. Too fun.

    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  2. V may do better while Ted trains if you get a trailer and have him tow her around. Not sure how he'd feel about adding that to his regimen, but all of our kids have LOVED being in the bike trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet baby! I love his hat that Veronica made....he has such a sweet little face :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so sweet and Valerie seems like she is adjusting normally to life with a little bother. So you all live in Fon du lac, right? If you ever come this way, let me know! Or we could meet halfway sometime, after everything slows down for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you're settling in, although you ARE being presenting with a few more NEW challanges. I often wonder what it will be like to juggle another child and how my day to day routine would change when there is will be 2, not just 1. :)

    It's great to see your family is able to start visiting now.. and not in the hospital!

    Just by chances, who was your OB? I delivered at Neenah too, Koellermeier is my OB and I LOVED her! She's in Woman's Care of WI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! It's good to hear that you guys are adjusting well. I know it's hard at first with the older one not quite being sure where her place is, but before you know it, you will all find your places. In the beginning I felt pretty overwhelmed when Audrey came home because my Hubby wasn't able to take much time off from work (He really only took like two days off) and then it was me doing mostly everything alone. It was a challenge but before I knew it, things started to get easier.

    I am still marveling at how awesome it is that your Little Pumpkin is home already!

    Thanks so much for posting a pic of him wearing his little hat. Looks like it's got some room to grow too!

    I'll be praying tongight that everything goes smoothly for you guys tomorrow and you'll get to go to church!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like everything is going great with you and your family! I am so sorry that Valerie had her first meltdown. I bet that was super tough on you as well! I love all the pictures. He is soo adorable especially in that little hat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you are adjusting well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a precious little peanut you have there!! I'm glad to hear everything is going well with nursing and sleeping! Awesome :) Sleep is sooo important.
    My little one likes to sleep lots during the day and then is a little more active at night...just like when she was in the womb! I'm looking forward to when she sleeps more at night :)
    How cute is Valerie checking out her little brother....so curious!
    You have a beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A week already!! Wow!! Such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. adorable. made me tear up looking at those little baby pictures. does a day next week work out to get together? i have your wildtree food. and we'd love to see your little man! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving all your pics! He's growing so much especially since I just read your most recent post first :) I'm so behind and trying to catch up tonight!

    Allie loves that little pop up toy that Valerie is playing with too.

    ReplyDelete