Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude

As I have challenged myself this week to be thankful in EVERYthing...I've realized my attitude IS starting to change.  Instead of complaining, I stop myself and think about how I can be thankful for the situation.  Like, when my children are BOTH crying and whining at the same time...I realized I am SO blessed to have two healthy children.  I'll take the crying and whining any day...as long as they are here in my arms.  Or like when I wake up early because my Little Pumpkin wants to be wide awake at 5 am...I realized I can be thankful for the quiet of the morning and a time to prayer or study His word.  I also catch myself getting upset with my husband when he comes home from work and goes straight to biking, leaving me no break...and realize I can be thankful he has a job that provides for our needs and allows me to stay home with our little ones...and that he stays healthy and active, setting a good example for our children (and for me, too!).  Plus, yesterday he surprised me by coming home for lunch and BOTH our little ones were sleeping so we enjoyed a quiet lunch together.  It was so sweet and I was SO thankful!

We are looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with my family and SO thankful that we have family to celebrate with.  Recently my grandpa had a heart attack...but God spared him and we are SO thankful we can go to his home and celebrate the holidays WITH him.  Last winter, my other grandpa was so sick with pneumonia, we were almost prepared to lose him...but it was not his time yet and we were blessed with more time with him.  I am blessed with FIVE grandparents, including one GREAT grandma who are all very much alive and well.  I am also thankful that all of my dad's siblings, except one will be there to celebrate with us along with most of their children.  I can't even remember the last time we had that kind of turn out for Thanksgiving.

Of course, Thanksgiving leaves a sad, empty feeling in the hearts of my mom's family...just one year ago we lost my great aunt Carlyne.  I still remember the last time I saw her...she was in the ICU, could barely talk and looked so weak and thin...but she gave me a big smile and told me she loved me.  I am so thankful I had that moment with her...but, most importantly, I am thankful for a God and Savior who will one day wipe away ALL my tears.  He IS good...and His steadfast love endures FOREVER!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Stephanie! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the beginning of this post, Stephanie. Sometimes it gets ovewhelming to be our children's everything, but when I step back and look at the big picture, I realize that I am SO blessed. God is so good and I am so thankful for all He's given me.

    Sounds like your Thanksgiving will be a wondeful one tomorrow! Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's definitely many things to be grateful for, especially the precious time with our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete