“But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.”
(Isaiah 40:31)
I've heard this verse so many times, but often wondered what it really means to mount or soar like eagles. Eagles have a very large wing span, so it takes a lot of energy to flap their wings. According to scientists, Gerrard and Bortolotti, "The energy needed to maintain a bird in flat soaring or gliding flight is much less, perhaps a 20th or less the power needed for flapping. Therefore, eagles will always choose to soar or glide when possible." So, instead of trying to fly by its own strength or energy, an eagle uses the wind or air to soar. In the same way, when we rest or wait on the Lord, we are using His strength to soar.
I just love the image the eagle creates in this verse, because I know how often, like the eagle, it just takes too much energy to try to flap my own wings. But, where an eagle will always choose to soar, too often I refuse, instead trying to use up my own energy, which is far less than what I need to really soar through life's trials and storms. Matthew Henry says, "To those who are sensible of their weakness, and ready to acknowledge they have no might, God does in a special manner increase strength; for, when we are weak in ourselves, then are we strong in the Lord." When I acknowledge my weaknesses, that is when I see just how strong He is and when I too can mount up with wings like eagles.
It never ceases to amaze me how God reveals truths like this just when I need them. It was three years ago, on the Monday before Easter, that my grandfather was taken by ambulance and the week that followed began the hardest journey of grief I've ever had to walk. The one thing that carried me through that week and the flood of grief that continues to catch me off guard is the hope I have in truth reminders like this. I know that His grace really is sufficient and that His power is made perfect in my weaknesses. I will rejoice then, even in my weakness, for I know, as Isaiah 40:28 says, He is the everlasting God who does not faint or grow weary and that strength is mine by the blood of the lamb.
***
No comments:
Post a Comment