Photo Credit: drubuntu
I shouldn't be surprised by the way God speaks One Word into my heart for the year and then sprinkles my days with glimpses of what that word means and how He wants me to grow into it. But it still takes my breath away that He would choose to care about the little details of my life so thoroughly.
This week has been tough, as I've fought my way through a painful bout with mastitis, crabby children, a teething and growing baby, and the doldrums of dark winter days. It's always when I'm at my weakest physically that my spirit take the greatest toll.
But God knew well before I did what this week would bring. He is never surprised and always prepared, well in advance. Because this is also the week that began a new bible study with a sweet new group of sister-friends.
And in my devotion time yesterday, I came across this quote from Matthew Henry's commentary regarding the focus verses for the day, Luke 1:37-38, "We must, as Mary here, guide our desires by the word of God, and ground our hopes upon it. Be it unto me according to thy word; just so, and no otherwise."
Mary was told by an angel of the Lord that she - a virgin - would bear a son...and not just any son, but the Son of God. She had to know what this would do to her future and her reputation, but she chose to humbly submit. She laid aside her fears and worries, holding instead onto the hope that came in the form of a Son born to be the Savior of the world.
Mary believed what King David believed when he said in 2 Samuel 7:28, "And now, O Lord God, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this good thing to your servant." God keeps His promises and works all things together for good to those who call upon His name.
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but hope that is rooted and grounded in the truth of God's Word is a desire fulfilled and a tree of life. And though I may be sick physically, my spirit is renewed by these truths and by the One who knew exactly how and when to speak them to my heart.

My Sunday devotions were the same verse from 2 Samuel and that what I'm working on for Sunday School. Amazing how God's voice is even clearer now! Thanks.
ReplyDelete