Weary and worn from a long day of mothering, I sink into the soft cushioning of our couch.
My son, the one I still call my baby, who just yesterday searched my face with newborn eyes, walks out of his bedroom proudly holding his bedtime clothes.
I watch him struggle, one leg at a time. Every ounce of this mother's heart wants to wipe that frown of frustration away and come swiftly to his rescue.
But I watch instead as this once a baby, now a toddler, tomorrow a boy determines to "do myself".
Then, with three simple words, he waves his flag of surrender. "Mommy, you help!"
My heart swoons, not at the words spoken but at the meaning they hold; I am still needed.
Once dressed for bedtime slumber, he reaches out and wraps his arms around me, this all too quickly growing boy still longing to be held.
"Oh, my baby boy...Did you know, I love you so?"
"Baby in your belly! I give him kiss!" he declares, as he leans down to whisper hello and gently kiss my ever growing belly.
And just as quickly, he reaches back for my arms, wrapped up in this mother's love that knows no bounds.
He may be discovering independence, testing his limits, and learning to spread his wings, but he will always be my baby.
And, for now, he still needs the safety of the nest before he soars away on his own.
Linking up with Sarah for this week's Bigger Picture Moments.
***
The winner of the Child Training Bible Review & Giveaway has been announced here.
Will you join me over at my blog facebook page? I often share my favorite daily blog reads that encourage and challenge me as well as daily deals and freebies I come across often. I'd love to interact with my readers more there, so, as an extra incentive, when I reach 75 "likes", I'm giving away a copy of Angie Smith's What Women Fear.

Ok you managed to make me cry Stephanie because I understand this feeling ALL TOO WELL.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
Alita
My heart! I'm so glad, even when it's long been when they needed assistance donning their jammies, that they'll still be our babies :)
ReplyDeleteAnd cue tears...sweet perfection for sure. It's that push and pull of letting go and still be needed, I believe that's part of mom life that will forever stay the same no matter how old our children are.
ReplyDeleteSo precious!
ReplyDeleteAs a woman of the older generation (you know, the generation that felt this way about your generation?) all I can say is I remember those delicious moments. Mmm-mmm.
Oh, teary-weepy over here. What is it about right now? These past few weeks that have been making me linger in their littleness? Take note of their yet-smallness? You said what has been in my heart for weeks so beautifully. So very beautifully, Stephanie. Love you and your mother's heart.
ReplyDeleteAww this is lovely!
ReplyDeleteStephanie, you put it beautifully. At times my son is still a newborn in my mind...how could it be that 2.5 yrs have gone by?
ReplyDelete