This morning, I was awake bright and early to the steady beat of two sweet little feet kicking away inside the safe cocoon of my womb. I knew sleep would no longer find me, because in a few short hours we would be staring at a computer screen watching our littlest one make his presence known.
So, I showered and readied myself, but I knew, before I rushed off to the excitement of our busy morning, I needed to slow down and spend even a few moments in His word. My excitement multiplied by little anxieties were giving me butterflies on top of the steady beat of those tiny feet.
And then He lead me here...
"For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him
to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice,
so that the LORD may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.”
(Genesis 18:19 ESV)
What a humbling and challenging reminder that this littlest one belongs to Him but that my husband and I have been called to raise each of our little ones in the way they should go. Proverbs 22:6 says of this calling that parents are to "train up a child" so that "when he is old he will not depart from it". To train means simply to dedicate or initiate, that through love and instruction and discipline we would show our children the right way to walk through this life.
As I read these words, I was brought to my knees, because I know I can't do this alone. On my own, I am not equipped, not worthy, not disciplined enough in my own life to be given such a great responsibility. My children depend on me to show them the way, to teach them and instruct them as they navigate their way through this broken and corrupt world.
The discipline of morning devotions and daily walking with Him becomes more important, because my children depend on me...and I know that I am just as much a sinner. But, when I allow Him to continually direct my steps and search my heart to find any way in me that needs to be changed, I know that I really can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
It also reminds me that my children are a gift. Each one of them were fearfully and wonderfully created by the God who spoke the universe into being and counted the number of their days before they were even conceived. They are His, but He has blessed us with them and entrusted us with their care. As I closed my bible and let these words and convictions sink into my soul, I prayed that He would continue to give me exactly what I need to be the mom He has called me to be to each of these precious blessings.
Linking up with Hyacynth for this week's Bigger Picture Moments.Also, check out these two reviews/giveaways going on here right now:
Virtual Mercy Party: Mercy House Review & Giveaway
My Blog Spark: Cheerios Review & Giveaway

We don't engage in daily devotionals in a technical putting time aside sense, but before every meal, and on the way to t-ball, and at the grocery store, and when we see a baby, or when we pick out our groceries, or read stories, or say night prayers. We talk about God all the time. He is brought up over and over by the boys and I don't even have to initiate. And these conversations are like prayers themselves and I love it!
ReplyDeleteIt is our job to raise up our children, but letting it come naturally with his guidance is just as delightful. I completely understand your need, because it is my need to. There is so much love to spread around isn't there.
This is a wonderful bigger picture moment!
Thank you for sharing!!
Alita
Alita, that is exactly what Deuteronomy 6 says to do when raising children! You named the coming and going and waking and going about the house in the very way we go out about life in this day and time. I love that!! Just had to say that.
DeleteI LOVE this Alita - "these conversations are like prayers themselves". I am already amazed at the conversations initiated by my three year old daughter. She is so curious and so tender hearted; she wants to know, really know this God and Jesus my husband and I talk about so often as we are transparent in front of them and as we teach them to pray and come to Him in all things. It reminds me of how precious this gift of knowing and serving Him is - just the fact that He has called me as His own is more wonderful than I can comprehend. And the fact that I can share these truths daily in my comings and goings with my children - what an honor!
DeleteSteph, I praise Him for this baby boy because I know that He is being formed and shaped even now for a purpose we cannot even imagine!
ReplyDeleteI praise Him that you and Ted will raise him as a man of integrity and character.
Beautiful reminder and words, lady! love you!
I often wonder what their stories will be like as they grow and I feel so privileged to be able to watch them unfold. I found myself whispering heart praises with every beautiful healthy word the ultrasound nurse spoke as she measured and examined our littlest one. And that He chose me to be a mom once, twice, three times? Wow, just wow!
DeleteWhat I find (over and over again) to be the most faith refining part of this great parenting journey (mine are 25 and 22) is not thinking we know what the "end" is...or in what way they should go. As they develop their faith, and face choices and character challenges, it gets harder and harder to turn them over to God and over to themselves! My faithful family looks very different to me today than I would have imagined it when they were young ~ I stand in awe every day of what God has done for the four of us and how much richer his design is than anything I could have planned or imagined!
ReplyDeleteOh, this turning them over to God is one thing I have prayed about often already, because, while they are so dependent on our direction and instruction right now, I know that as they continue to grow we will have to learn to let give them more and more independence and remember that HE is writing their story, not us.
DeleteOh very sweet! So humbling and exciting to see new life on the way! :)
ReplyDelete