Photo credit: alfstorm
I wasn't going to post today. I wasn't even sure I would post this week. Pregnancy is hard for me and, although I've been feeling a little better than last week, it is still hard. I'm using all my energy to care for my two toddlers and take care of me and this little one being knit together in my womb.
Last night, as I lay in bed, rubbing my growing belly, I whispered, "Dear one, YOU are worth it." Because sometimes I need to hear that reminder out loud and speaking it to this little one reminds me of the life that is being formed and created so beautifully and wonderfully.
But there is more on my heart than the morning sickness that is seeping all my energy from me. I've been thinking a lot about what is important, what my priorities are. Because my energy is more limited than usual, I really have to prioritize and remember what my purpose is. No matter how little energy I have, I still have two toddlers full of endless energy who need their mommy...and two tender hearts in need of nurturing and guidance.
Last night, instead of sitting in front of the computer or attempting one of the endless cleaning tasks I am behind on while my husband read bedtime stories, I realized it was more important for me to slow down and sit with them.
My daughter pulled out one of our children's bibles and chose the story of the resurrection. As my husband read the words, I watched her eyes grow wide and her heart wider. I could see the hunger she had for the words he was speaking.
"Mommy, what's that?" she said as he turned the page to show a picture of the risen Jesus with hands that still held the marks of nails.
"That is where the nails were in his hands holding him to the cross." I said.
And Ted explained that it was like an "owie". She pointed to those nail-pierced hands on each page and whispered "owie" as she processed the words her daddy was reading.
When he finished she said, "God lubs me?" and I almost cried as we both reminded her that He loved her SO much that He sent His son Jesus.
"And He loves yeddo and mommy and daddy too," Ted explained.
She requested more of the story, so he went on to read about the ascension. "Angels!" she exclaimed as she pointed to the two angels in the picture on the last page.
"And where did Jesus go?" I asked her.
She looked confused, so Ted explained, "He went to heaven to prepare a home for mommy and daddy...and He's preparing a home for you too. Do you want to live in heaven someday with Jesus?"
Her eyes wide and her heart wider, she gently shook her head yes and Ted said, "God sent Jesus to die on the cross so that YOU could go to heaven."
We could see her heart searching, but she just stared at her daddy wide-eyed, not completely understanding but still yearning to know more.
Later that night, after we tucked our little ones in bed and crawled into our bed for the night, we talked about that moment and how tender the hearts of our little ones are and how much we desire for them to know the same hope we know.
We prayed for their little hearts to continue being open to the truth and that one day they would make the same decision we did to let Jesus into their hearts and choose to follow Him.
And as I listened to my husband pray those words, I realized that this is my greatest mission, my highest calling, to nurture and encourage their sweet, tender hearts to know and love the Lord, to teach them the truth and pray that one day they would make the right choice...and that my husband and I would be blessed to watch a legacy of faith unfold in our home.
***
Congratulations to Elisabeth for winning the $25 Sam's Club gift card from My Blogspark!

What a beautiful exchange of words of truth between you, your husband and your little one. The hearts of our little ones are so wide open to receive God's love. So precious!
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet post steph! And a great reminder, thank you :)
ReplyDelete