Tuesday, October 18, 2011

31 Days of Devotions: Righteousness

Photo credit: knowhimonline

I'm joining the 31 Days series with a 31 Days of Devotions here.  I've been struggling to find a way to write from my heart again, so I decided to begin where my heart is - His word.  I will be sharing a different theme each day, sort of a word study of words of encouragement and hope that have meant a lot to me recently.  Some days I may post more than once if there are other things I want to share about our day to day life, but there will always be a 31 Days post every day for the month of October. I hope you will join in every day and share your own thoughts.  And, of course, for more 31 Days posts, go here.

Photo credit: George Ferris

"He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake." (Psalm 23:3)

Psalm 23 is such a well known Psalm for the picture of a shepherd leading his sheep that David describes.  It's a Psalm I've read over and over.  I even memorized it before going in for an MRI one time, so I could have His words to calm my anxious thoughts.  But the words of verse 3 are especially sweet to me, because they are words God has spoken to me in the last year. 

The first part of the verse is simply beautiful.  On days when I wondered who I am and felt guilty that I wasn't the mom and wife I wanted to be, He reminded me that He would restore me.  The word restore means to bring back, refresh, repair.  Though it's been a tough road, I can look at where He has brought me today and know that He has refreshed, repaired, and brought back pieces of me I had forgotten, ignored, or simply didn't appreciate or understand.  He has helped me to see that my mess can be something beautiful when He is the One leading me.

And, like the sheep in Psalm 23, without the voice of the Shepherd leading the way, I am lost.  I walk into paths leading to danger and destruction...but when I heed the Shepherd's call, I am led down paths of righteousness, where I am safe and secure in Him.  One of Strong's definitions for righteousness is simply straight path.  Jeremiah 31:9 calls it "a straight path in which they shall not stumble".  Without light, we will stumble in the darkness.  But, when His light leads the way, we can follow the straight path where we will not stumble. 
"Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Deliver me from my enemies, O LORD! I have fled to you for refuge! Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!" (Psalm 143:8-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment