Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Days of Devotions: Prayer

Photo credit: knowhimonline

I'm joining the 31 Days series with a 31 Days of Devotions here.  I've been struggling to find a way to write from my heart again, so I decided to begin where my heart is - His word.  I will be sharing a different theme each day, sort of a word study of words of encouragement and hope that have meant a lot to me recently.  Some days I may post more than once if there are other things I want to share about our day to day life, but there will always be a 31 Days post every day for the month of October. I hope you will join in every day and share your own thoughts.  And, of course, for more 31 Days posts, go here.

Photo credit: Andythedreamer

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (Philippians 4:6)

I read this post today and was so encouraged that, even when I don't have the words to pray, God gives me His word.  Have you ever prayed God's word, using His words as your prayer, and even inserting your own name in His truth?  It's something I've been learning this year, to believe that His word is true for even me.  And, saying it out loud helps my heart to believe what my head is saying.  Because it doesn't always click until I hear myself saying the words of truth.

Philippians 4:6 is a verse that was laid on my heart this year as I've struggled with anxiety.  It was a memory verse for my students last week and I love that God used His word spoken through my students to remind me even now, as our daily routine has been disrupted and the days are getting colder and shorter and darker, that I can come to His throne any time, any day and He will hear my prayers. 


To be anxious means to be troubled with cares.  It's easy to let all the cares of my day, no matter how small, pile up until I am so troubled with cares that I can't even sleep at night.  "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" (Matthew 6:30).  That little phrase O you of little faith gets me every time.  Because, allowing my troubles to overwhelm me is like saying "but God can't take care of that".  Anxiety and worry are really must a form of doubting. 

Today, in Bible class with my third graders, we read the story of how God punished the wicked queen Jezebel.  He had sent His prophet Elijah to pronounce the coming judgment.  I asked my students if God did what He said and one of them said, "Mrs. Hanes, doesn't God ALWAYS do what He says He will do?"  Yes!  Because we serve a God who has proved Himself faithful time and time again.

I've always liked the use of the word supplication along with prayer.  Supplication means a seeking, an asking, entreating.  "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you" (Matthew 6:33).  Trusting in Him means believing that when I seek Him in prayer He will hear and answer.  Sometimes His answer is yes; other times it's no; a lot of the time it is wait.  But always He answers.
So, my prayer today, in praying His word is this: Lord, I'm seeking you today, knowing and believing that whatever I ask you hear and you will answer my prayers.  Let me not be anxious and fill my heart with truth, so I would not doubt, but believe that what you say is true and that you are faithful to do what you say you will.  Thank you for hearing me and allowing me to come before you.  Thank you for knowing my heart and working all things together for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment