Thursday, February 11, 2010

Real Life Love Story #2, Part 2

If you missed the first part of my parent's love story, be sure to read yesterday's post first. 

***

Her Story

When did you first meet her and what was your first impression of her?

Actually Dad is wrong.  I first met him at his sister Cindy’s wedding.  Mary invited Katy and me to come to the wedding.  She was standing up in it.  She introduced us to Dave and Jim.  I never thought he was shy because he talked to me right away.  In fact we spent the whole night talking and dancing.  He was so easy to talk to. I think Mary set us up!


How long was your dating/courtship?  What kind of things did you do together?

Dave is right.  We met but never really started to date until about a year after we met.  We did see each other in group setting before we started to date. When I left for Marian, I gave him my address and phone number.  He started to write me long letters and call me.  I loved getting the letters in the mail.  I shared a phone with 3 other girls in our dorm so the time talking on the phone was precious as it wasn’t as often as I wanted to.  Once he graduated we spent more and more one on one time together.


How did you know he was THE one?

I liked him right away, but was a little afraid of a serious relationship so it was perfect for me that things started slow just getting to know each other.  After all, I had a lot of college left and I was determined to complete my nursing degree.


How did he propose?

Dad is so right.  I loved him a lot and was very happy when we made that commitment.  I couldn’t wait to tell everyone but we decided to wait until a little while to tell everyone since we planned a long engagement since I was still in college.  We told everyone at Thanksgiving time.  We committed to each other during the previous summer at the land around Lake Elwood.


What kind of advice would you like to share with others about making a marriage that lasts a lifetime?

Dad is right.  I think it is also very important when you have children to make sure you stay committed to your marriage commitment.  Don’t forget about each other while you are raising your children.  When they are gone from the house, we don’t want to look at each other and wonder who we are. We also work really hard at communicating (which is easier for me than it is for Dave----a guy thing, I think.).  We are a team and plan on being that way forever.  Even when we get mad at each other, we continue to love each other. I never think about giving up.  Our commitment is too strong and too important.  I won’t say I never get frustrated because I do.  Life is hard blending 2 different personalities but we make it work because it is important to us.







1 comment:

  1. I love a good love story. Thanks for sharing this.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete