My parents have been married for 28 years. It has always been a blessing to know they are committed to each other and are not afraid to show us how much they love each other. I never doubted my parents would stick together, because their actions spoke volumes to me about how important their marriage was to them. I asked them each to share their love story. I'm going to share it in two parts, because they each wrote their own version of their story.
***
His Story
When did you first meet her and what was your first impression of her?
My sister Mary brought her home to visit our family and introduced me to her. I thought she was pretty and also quite talkative (just like my sister Mary). But I was painfully shy, so I didn’t stick around to talk much to her. So I doubt that I made much of an impression on her at first!
How long was your dating/courtship? What kind of things did you do together?
I’m sure Mary will know this for certain, but it’s just a guess for me. I’m guessing it was over a year of going out together before we started to talk about our future together. And then it was only a year or so after that before we got married. I always hung around with a group of high school buddies, and they liked to go to
When did you know she was THE one?
I have always said that I knew from the first time I met her that she was someone special. And it is the truth; I knew pretty soon after we started dating that she was the one for me. Even after we first met I couldn’t get her off my mind, although I was too shy to bring up the subject much – and God forbid even pick up the phone and call her! Thank God that sister Mary pushed the envelope – introducing us at my sister Cindy’s wedding and then leaving me there to talk with her all by myself. But it was easy to talk to her, and I got the sense that she actually liked to talk to me, too.
How did you propose?
We were on a long walk around the lake cabin in
What kind of advice would you like to share with others about making a marriage that lasts a lifetime?
Make time with each other; commit to spending time together outside of the hustle & bustle of everyday life. Sometimes it takes extra effort to do that, just because our work lives consume so much of our days. But we have to make that effort. Of course, it helps that we have many mutual interests, and we have quite a few things that we both like to do. We both like spending time together watching our favorite TV shows, going to movies, going to sporting events (especially Timber Rattler and Packer games), going out to eat, going on walks, bike rides, swimming, family events, playing board games, going on annual family vacations; and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few others. The point is, if you really love each other you will want to spend time together – and we do.



That is wonderful that they have been happily married for so long! My parents were married 36 years when my mom died. This would've been their 42nd Anniversary. That's just crazy! But, definitely shows that even though marriage takes work, it is meant to last and it can be done!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story... can't wait to read the rest!
ReplyDeleteahh my mom did well with this match! hooray for love stories!
ReplyDeleteI had nothing to do with it. :)
ReplyDeleteSo sweet!!
ReplyDelete