Friday, May 30, 2014

Book Review: Mom's Night Out



I was barely five pages into the novelization of Mom's Night Out and already I was both laughing out loud and nodding my head vigorously in agreement as I wrote the words "Yes. THIS!" in the margin.  I considered reading out loud to my confused husband, but t would have only confused him more...and I might have resorted to crying because it's so hard to explain to him what this motherhood journey really feels like.

The fact that the opening scene took place on Mother's Day and I began reading the book after my own Mother's Day failure was not lost on me; it merely validated my own struggles and reminded me that I'm not alone.  I wanted to reach through the pages and hug Allyson, because I could have written these words myself...
"I love my kids.  I love my husband, my minivan.  My minivan is awesome.  I have this incredible life, so why do I feel this way?"
And then, this...
"The house was cleaner today, yes, but nothing was fixed.  It would just get dirty again tomorrow.  The kids would get out of control again tomorrow.  Life tomorrow would be the safe as life today.  More work.  More noise.  More stress.  Is this what life had come to?"
The truth is: I've been there, wondering how I'm accomplishing anything worthwhile in the midst of all the day in and day out, endless cleaning and diaper changes and discipline.  And some days I still wonder.  It's a breath of fresh air to read pages of a book based on a movie that not only validates what my days are like, but reminds me that it's both okay and good.
"I doubt the Good Lord made a mistake giving your kiddos the mama He did.  So just be...you.  He'll take care of the rest." 
Mom's Night Out is not just a sappy, feel good book though.  It is rolling on the floor, nearly peeing your pants funny.  Laughter is so good for the soul and this book delivered plenty of soul satisfying laughter. 

While the storyline often seemed too ridiculous and far fetched to be realistic, sometimes that's actually the reality of life as a stay at home mom.  Too often, at the end of another long day, I will give my husband a play by play of my day and stare at him with a mix of bewilderment and frustration because you really can't make this stuff up. 

I was so captured by the novelization that I immediately set up my own mom's night out to see the movie.  I was really impressed with how well the novelization complemented the movie and how well the author captured the characters through her words.  This is definitely a book I'll be sharing with my mommy friends and I may even read it again whenever I need a good dose of laughter. 


***


I love that the novelization of Mom's Night Out was also paired with a devotional written by Kerri Pomarolli.  As I began reading Mom's Night Out and Other Things I Miss...Devotions to Help You Survive, I was immediately drawn in by the author's conversational writing style.  It was like I was sitting across from her as we both sipped our coffee with hair disheveled and eyes weary from another tough day of mothering just to hear each other say "It's okay.  I'm here.  And I understand.

Each devotion includes a glimpse into author Kerri Pomarolli's own motherhood journey as well as an encouragement to get your feet back on solid ground with the One who knows every tear and failure of every day.  The devotions end with a prayer that reminds the reader that constant communication with Him is the best survival tool, even when your words are few. 

These words drew me in right away, as I've battled my own fears and doubts, and they are words I know I'll find myself repeating often: "Lord, I stand on Your promises in my life.  I rebuke doubt and fear and believe that what You say is true.  I will not quit 'pushing' for all that You have for me and my family. Amen."

This is a book that will remain on my bedside table so I can pick it up on the hard days and be reminded I'm not alone and that when I am weak, He is strong. 


Disclosure: I received free copies of both books from Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest review. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment