I Am...
Satisfied
"For he satisfies the longing soul,
and the hungry soul he fills with good things."
(Psalm 107:9)
***
I began digging into this Truth weeks ago, but there's a reason it has taken me so long to post it. Besides the simple busy-ness of summer and raising little ones, I needed to sit and soak up this Truth before my heart could get it and my soul could believe it. Some Truths just take longer to penetrate the lies and doubts fighting to overpower all my thoughts.
So, I waited and I wondered and I wrestled. I know what His Words say about being satisfied in Him, but how do I claim it and really believe it with all my heart and mind and soul? My thoughts were at war within as I made the drive to a sweet friend's house and a gathering of creative souls.
I tried to quiet the storm with music, but I couldn't find the rhythm and lyrics I needed no matter how many times I scanned and flipped through station after station. I prayed for peace, but somehow, the quiet solitude just felt too loud. It wasn't until I stepped out of my car and into her home that I could finally breath it all out...and find the renewal I so desperately needed.
I can't wait to write more, because the words flowed out of my heart in such a soul detoxing frenzy this weekend and it is nothing short of amazing. But, for today, I want to dig into what it really means to be satisfied, because I can finally say with confidence that it is well with my soul and it's all because of Him.
***
It's easy to look around at the mess of laundry, dishes, and toys scattered about the two bedroom home we are outgrowing and become dissatisfied with it all. I long for the energy and time and motivation to do it all...and for our dream house with four bedrooms and plenty of room for our family to grow and to welcome friends and family to be our guests. I compare and contrast and somehow I always seem to fall short.
Why can't I be satisfied with the gifts and blessings I have that are already far more than I deserve? The answer, obviously, lies in the words of Psalm 107, but sometimes the obvious is the hardest Truth to claim. He alone satisfies the longing soul, but far too often I look in all the wrong places, leaving me more and more disappointed and discontent.
"Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food."
Isaiah 55:2Taste and see that He is good, because He is, He was, and He always will be good. The more I dig into His Truth and fill my heart with His rich food that delights and nourishes, the more I know and believe I desperately need Him and the more I find that He supplies every single one of my needs...and so much more. I love what Charles Spurgeon says of this:
"Come, then, brethren, and look down into this great gulf of need, and exultingly say, 'O Lord, we thank thee that our needs are great, for there is more room for thy love, thy tenderness, thy power, thy faithfulness, to fill the chasm."He will satisfy all our soul's desires, but only when we go to Him, running head first into arms of love waiting to embrace us right where we are. No matter what your struggle, no matter what your circumstances, no matter how far you've strayed, no matter how much you doubt...He is calling your name, tenderly and faithfully ready to fill you to overflowing...if only you will go to Him.
Join me on Mondays on a journey to discover and take hold of the truth of who we are in Him.

No comments:
Post a Comment