Hope.
How do you hold onto hope when it hurts too much?
What does it mean to hope even in the storms?
Where is hope when all seems lost?
Just as my eyelids were beginning to droop and our littlest one was nursing to sleep curled up in my arms last night, I read words that brought me back to the days of waiting rooms and sad goodbyes.
My husband's grandma has lived a rich and full life, but how do you say goodbye to someone you wish you had known all your life, who has loved you in such a short time with a deep and unconditional love, who has embraced you as her own and encouraged you even as she struggled to do the daily tasks you so often take for granted?
"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope."
(1 Thessalonians 4:13)I read these words, but still I wonder: how is it possible for hope to be mingled with grief?
"For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep."
(1 Thessalonians 4:14)I know my husband's grandma awaits a joyful celebration in heaven, because she knows the One who died and rose again. The hope of heaven draws her near to Him...but far from those who love and have been loved by her here on earth.
So, we weep that she will no longer be here with us, but we rejoice that she will soon be with the Lord, for all eternity, where sin and death and tears and pain are no more. Her body will be fully healed and she will be sitting at the feet of Jesus, gazing upon His glory.
This is hope mingled with grief, a time for weeping and a time for rejoicing.
But, even if I wasn't sure that the hope of heaven awaited her, could I still grieve with hope?
"Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord."
(1 Thessalonians 4:17)And so we will always be with the Lord. Oh, what hope is found in those words, to know that when we know the Son, we can know the Father and that there will be a day when we will be with Him for all eternity.
Matthew Henry says "This hope is more than enough to balance all our griefs upon account of any of the crosses of the present time." And so, we do no weep as the world weeps, as those who have no hope of a better life after this, but hold onto the hope of heaven that awaits us one day.
"All grief for the death of friends is far from being unlawful; we may weep at least for ourselves if we do not weep for them, weep for own loss, though it may be their fain. Yet we must not be immoderate in our sorrows..." (Matthew Henry)Yes, we can weep, but we don't continue to hold onto grief instead of holding onto hope. That would look like we have no hope, but our hope is not in this world. Our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. His blood covers our sin and opens wide heavens doors to those who open wide His gift and embrace life in Him.
And so, I may rejoice, come what may, just as Job did, even when everything he held dear on this earth was taken away.
"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!" (Job 19:25-27)
***
For more about HOPE, my One Word this year, check out these posts:
When Hope Changes Everything
{Broken & Mended} Truth Reminders: Psalm 42:11
Hope That Is Grounded
The Weekend Brew: My Safe Place
One Word 2013: Hope


Hope mingled with grief- I so resonate with all of your words, Stephanie. I am sorry for the loss that you are facing, but encouraged by your words. Praise God that this life is not all that there is!!!
ReplyDelete