To God's elect...who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance. ~1 Peter 1:2
Peter was writing in a time when the message of Christ was only beginning to sweep through the nations. He knew that, just as Christ suffered, they too would suffer for His name. And yet, he opens his first letter by wishing grace and peace in abundance to God's elect.
To know His grace, His unmerited favor and undeserved gift, is to know His peace, the kind of peace that surpasses understanding. Matthew Henry said in his commentary of this passage that "solid peace cannot be enjoyed where there is no true grace; first grace, then peace".
But in this world there will be tribulation.
"And when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. This must take place, but the end is not yet." (Mark 13:7)Death, pain, and suffering are all part of living in a sinful, fallen world. As I learned this morning's horrible news, I found myself thinking about how these kinds of events have become more frequent and far worse.
Mark knew, long before today's events that it would get worse and that it should not alarm us. All these things must come to pass before the end.
So, where is the peace in this? How can I read today's news or listen to reports on the radio of tragedy upon tragedy day after day and still feel safe and secure?
"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)Peace, real, solid, lasting peace comes from knowing that no matter what events transpire around us, no matter what storms we must walk through in this life, He has overcome them all. Strong's defines peace as "the tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and content with its earthly lot, of whatsoever sort that is".
My heart aches for the people of Colorado today...but, even more so, my soul yearns for that day when He will overcome it all.
Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
***
Dayspring has graciously gifted me with this beautiful doormat and flag from their Redeemed collection. This is what it means to stand on grace, knowing that no matter what comes, He has overcome.
One of my readers will also be gifted with the same message from 1 Peter 1:2 as a reminder of the kind of grace and peace that are ours in abundance through Christ. Plus, anyone can use the code JOY2012 for 25% off their entire purchase through the end of the month. (Enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter entry form below.)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: The doormat and flag were provided for free by Dayspring in exchange for sharing my story of how the message of hope from products like these challenged and encouraged me. Dayspring has also provided the same products to one winner of this giveaway.



It's funny that you mention Peter here today, we are studying him at Church the past couple of weeks. My heart too goes out too the Colorado victims. Standing on Grace for me means to put my trust in the Lord, to let him lead my life and not the other way around.
ReplyDeleteThanks for a great giveaway! I needed this today! :)
I stand on grace because in my own imperfection, I fall! God's Riches At Christ's Expense....that's what keeps me going!
ReplyDeleteStanding on grace to me means when there is no other reason why I should be stooding, grace holds me up. When I fail as a mom and wife, I keep going because of grace.
ReplyDeleteI stand on grace because I know in the end it will be sooo worth it!
ReplyDeleteGrace is Jesus taking care of ALL of my sins and so I am free to live without sin ....and I am redeemed ...
ReplyDeleteTo stand on Grace means to me....to trust in Him for everything...even when uncomfortable Grace comes...knowing it is for His Glory and for my sanctification...and lastly it means I may live with a Peace that is not of this world!
ReplyDeleteStanding on grace means that in spite of how unworthy I am God in His awesome mercy treats me like I am worthy of His Fatherly love! I can't imagine anything better than that!
ReplyDeleteStanding on Grace to me means that when things are tough and we feel as though we cannot keep going and stay on our feet, that we rely on God and His grace and that gives us the strength to keep moving forward...I'm not sure I said that well, so I hope that makes sense.
ReplyDeleteEverything else is empty...I stand on Grace and Mercy.
ReplyDeleteGOD'S GRACE---MY HOPE!
ReplyDeletestand on grace, because if i don't...where AM i standing?
ReplyDelete