Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Just Write: I Am A Writer


I pulled out this notebook filled with fresh blank pages waiting for words to fill its space...and memories of the day I pulled it off a shelf lined with notebooks in every size and color imaginable.

"I need to write down these memories, her stories, before I forget."

A quiet tear slid down my face as he looked deep into my eyes, seeing beyond my words and into my heart filled with a grief so raw and the memories of a last goodbye.

***

But days and weeks and months its pages sat empty, my words imprisoned in my own thoughts and a heart grieving a loss so great.

Until, one day, I stumbled upon this notebook, tossed aside like a forgotten memory.

And opening up to its first barren page, I found myself captivated by words and thoughts and memories and dreams tumbling out of their prison and onto its pages.

***

"This reminds me of your grandma," he says as he reads the first words on these pages.  "It's like reading something she would write.  You write like her."

My heart melts as her face flashes across my memory, a woman who loved words and knew how to weave them into a beautiful story.

These pages were meant for her stories, but somehow finding my own words to weave my own stories seems so much more fitting.

*** I'd love for you to "like" my facebook blog page so I can interact with you more there too.  I'll be giving away a copy of Angie Smith's What Women Fear when I reach 75 fans.

 


3 comments:

  1. yes, Stephanie - those words that were trapped. too raw to be written down, and the healing power of watching them spill onto page. i know this - you describe it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet...and very honest. Thank you for taking us along on your journey. Hopping from Just Write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY! I am a writer, too! (Following Jeff Goins through his great series with you!)
    But I found you through Just Write. So nice to meet you! Always so good to meet another writer and lover of grace! :)

    Emily
    www.weakandloved.com

    PS I am a writer, too! :)
    http://www.weakandloved.com/2012/06/writing-fear-part-3-my-garden-grows.html

    ReplyDelete