Photo credit: zen
"The Lord has done
great things for us,
and we are filled with joy."
Psalm 126:3
Last year I didn't really think about a word for the year. I started out the year feeling really hopeful and sure that this would be a better year. What I failed to consider, however, is that life is filled with trials. I thought life would be better, because I couldn't possibly endure the same difficult trials of the previous year. But life is hard. God never promised it would be easy. Sin brought into this world sickness, heart ache, pain, and death.
God used last year to teach me the real meaning of blessing. I learned that sometimes blessings come through raindrops. The hardest moments are often the times that I grow the most. I know that I am already stronger and wiser than I was one year ago, because of the blessings that came through those raindrops.
This year, my hope is built on the only One who will really give me a better life. I know that there will be trials, pain, heart ache, trouble this year, but I have been thinking a lot about what James said (James 1:2),
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.Just as He taught me that blessings come through raindrops, He continues to remind me that joy can be found even in the hardest times, because of the eternal hope that He has given me.
This week, when I opened up my planner to find my memory verse for the week, I wasn't surprised when I saw the word joy in my verse (Psalm 126:3). God has a way of getting my attention that way. This verse is a simply beautiful reminder that joy comes from remembering that He has already done great things for me.
Isaiah 12:4-6 says,
And you will say in that day: "Give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted. "Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth. Shout, and sing for joy, O inhabitant of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel."While this verse was directed toward the people of Israel, the truth of it still applies today. It reminds us that we can always count it all joy, as James says, because He has done gloriously and great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.
What is your One Word for 2012? I'm linking up with Bonnie at Faith Barista for this Faith Dare as part of Thursdays' Faith Barista JAM.


I pray God gives you abundant joy this year.
ReplyDeleteAmen to that! :o)
ReplyDeleteI love the Blessings song. And yes, JOY comes through our raindrops of life as well as on the other side of them.
ReplyDeletePraying you will find much of JOY in your journey this year. Excellent choice.
Glad you're able to find the blessings in the rain.
ReplyDeleteFinding joy in the midst of the desert as well as at an oasis is so very important. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey of joy.
ReplyDeleteOh. The Blessings song is wonderful. It touches me every time I hear it. I wish you joy in the coming year.
ReplyDeleteStephanie, it's so encouraging to hear how you're choosing joy, even in the midst of life as is. May drops of joy water and nurture your heart's desire. Thank you so much for your precious expression of One Word for 2012. It is a faith dare and I pray God will slip notes of JOY in you.
ReplyDelete