Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just Write: How To Slow Down Time




Find out what time it is!


I haven't been able to run for four weeks...and, let me tell you, it's driving me crazy.  In September, when I first started running, I never ever thought I'd fall in love with it.  But it quickly became a necessary part of my day.  I looked forward to waking up in the morning for a run, because it made me feel prepared for the day and it gave me the energy I needed to tackle whatever the day held for me.

But four weeks ago, my Achilles tendon started bothering me.  I had tendinitis as a kid, but the pain was more on the base of the heel, so I took to walking on tip toes.  Sometimes I still find myself walking up stairs on my toes instead of with my whole foot.  Now that it has returned as an adult, the pain is more in the middle of the tendon.  So, when it hurts the most, the pain radiates through my whole foot.

I finally went to a foot doctor last week who explained that my tendon is so tight I am running the risk of tearing it and needing surgery if I don't do something about it.  She gave me strict instructions to rest as much as possible and ice it throughout the day.  In two more weeks I will see her again and hopefully the tendon will be healed enough that I can start some physical therapy. 

So, in the middle of some of the hardest days I've endured and the busyness of the holidays, at a time when I desperately needed to get out for a run to clear my mind, all I could do was sit and rest.  And as I've forced myself to slow down, it's made me think about what's really important.

I've already blogged about how Christmas was different this year, but I've really been thinking about how important it is to slow down and enjoy the little moments that can never be recreated.  Like when my son asked me a few days ago to sit on the potty and grinned as he sat there and grunted, pretending to know what he was doing there.  Instead of sitting him on the potty and walking away, I watched him and giggled at his excitement over something so simple. 

Or the moment last night when my son just wanted to be held and rocked to sleep and, instead of sighing and groaning about how he wasn't going to bed, I decided to quietly pick him up and rock him back and forth in my bed until he was fast asleep in my arms.  And instead of moving him to his bed right away I stared at him for a while, as if to will time to slow down for just a little while.

Or the times my daughter breaks out into spontaneous songs, complete with hand motions, dancing, and hilarious facial expressions.  While I've often been the first to ask her to be quiet in my rush to do a million things around the house, I've determined in the last few weeks to just stop and listen.  I smile and cheer her on and when she finishes I clap as she takes a bow and giggles.

Because I know that one day I will miss these moments.  And these moments are only here now.  I have one childhood to enjoy these little ones before they are grown and raising families of their own.  And I don't want to miss this. 

***




Linking up with Heather of The EO for Tuesday's Just Write, a time set aside to freely write, without editing, whatever is on your mind.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    I sent you an email and a comment, but I haven't gotten an email/code back from you. Did you get my messages?

    Annette@devonsmith.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. So touching and poignant. It's a good reminder for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this. I strive to do exactly this.

    {Beautifully told}

    ReplyDelete