photo credit: sunfrog1
"I am the Lord's
servant," Mary answered.
"May it be to me as you have said."
(Luke 1:38a)
***
It had been a long day and Mary looked forward to her one moment of free time to sit in the garden and pray. As she knelt beneath a tree, she suddenly felt a presence before her. She looked up and was almost blinded by the bright light before her.
"Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
She covered her eyes and bowed her head as she realized she was in the presence of an angel. Why would God choose to speak to her in such a way? She was nobody special. Her family was not royalty or wealthy by any means. She was just a commoner. And yet, there was an angel standing before her.
"Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God."
Me, a simple commoner? thought Mary. Why would He choose me?
"You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."
Mary gasped and, before she had even a moment to think, she blurted out the first thought that came to her mind, "How will this be, since I am a virgin?"
"The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God."
Elizabeth? Could it be true? Oh, how she has longed for a child! Oh what joy! thought Mary. It must be true, because I know God is faithful and He does what He promises.
And as the words sunk into her heart, Mary looked up at the angel and said the only words she knew to say at a time like this.
"I am the Lord's servant, May it be to me as you have said."
As the angel left, Mary sat and pondered the words spoken to her. God has chosen her, a lowly commoner, an unmarried woman, to bear the long awaited Messiah.
***
Can you imagine, for a moment, being in Mary's shoes? What if God had asked me to be part of a plan that seemed impossible to man? Would I trust Him to do what He said? Would I believe His promises and submit to serving Him, no matter what the future held?
My heart's cry today is that He would teach me to trust in Him and believe in His word the way Mary did - to say to Him, "I am your servant, Lord. May it be to me as you have said." Mary chose to submit to God's plan for her life and so I choose to submit to His plans for my life, no matter what the future might hold.
***
Linking up with Barbie of My Freshly Brewed Life for Fresh Brewed Sundays.


Oh I cannot imagine what was going through Mary's mind at this time. I want to always be willing and ready to do the Lord's will. Thank you for linking up!
ReplyDelete