Saturday, October 22, 2011

31 Days of Devotions: Thanks


Photo credit: knowhimonline

I'm joining the 31 Days series with a 31 Days of Devotions here.  I've been struggling to find a way to write from my heart again, so I decided to begin where my heart is - His word.  I will be sharing a different theme each day, sort of a word study of words of encouragement and hope that have meant a lot to me recently.  Some days I may post more than once if there are other things I want to share about our day to day life, but there will always be a 31 Days post every day for the month of October. I hope you will join in every day and share your own thoughts.  And, of course, for more 31 Days posts, go here.

Photo credit: Stephen Mcleod

"But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness." (Romans 6:18)

Can I just say I love being able to teach again in a Christian school?  Because every single day I am encouraged by a simple truth in one of the lesson plans, in the bible verses the students are memorizing, in morning devotions with the teachers.  I don't think going back to work, even for only six weeks, would be possible for me except that God gave me this opportunity and is already using it to challenge and grow in me.

In fact, just today, I was reminded of a verse my students are memorizing.  I have been having a lot of allergy problems this year and have finally realized that my allergies are worse than they've ever been.  The allergy medicine, just over the counter Claritin, was not helping.  And, because my allergies were not being treated and this allergy season was so bad, I got a sinus infection a month and a half ago.  I am now on round three of antibiotics, hoping this is finally the one I need to get rid of it.  But, because of my weak stomach, the antibiotics are wreaking havoc on my digestive system.

My stomach hurt so bad today I thought for sure I would have to stop in the middle of my run and throw up.  When I got home, I cried and started to feel really anxious.  The anxiety always seems to creep in when I physically don't feel well.  I told my hubby and he said as he hugged me, "The bible says, "Be anxious for nothing..." I suddenly felt a peace in my heart again, because I knew the rest of the verse from listening to my students recite it all week, "...but in everything by prayer and supplication make your requests known to God" (Philippians 4:6).

Romans 6:18 reminds us to give thanks for the freedom God has given us through His son.  Because we were ones slaves, held captive by our sin.  But, in Christ, we are slaves to righteousness, which really makes us free because of the peace, joy, and hope found in Him.  And because of what He did on the cross, I can come before a mighty God, who spoke the world into existence, and make my requests known to Him. 

I love how Strong's defines the phrase "thanks be" - "that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech".  Joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness...all these things can be found in simply laying my burdens at His feet and trusting that He will answer.  So, when I am feeling anxious, I can lift my eyes unto the hills and call upon His name, knowing He will be faithful to restore the peace in my heart again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment