Photo credit: knowhimonline
I'm joining the 31 Days series with a 31 Days of Devotions here. I've been struggling to find a way to write from my heart again, so I decided to begin where my heart is - His word. I will be sharing a different theme each day, sort of a word study of words of encouragement and hope that have meant a lot to me recently. Some days I may post more than once if there are other things I want to share about our day to day life, but there will always be a 31 Days post every day for the month of October. I hope you will join in every day and share your own thoughts. And, of course, for more 31 Days posts, go here.
Photo credit: mwrobison
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." (2 Corinthians 5:17)
I've read this verse over and over, but it wasn't until today that I really got it. Some days are still a struggle for me. My mind is flooded with lies and the anxiety creeps in making it harder and harder to stop the lies. One of my biggest struggles in that moment of weakness is remembering that I really am redeemed, that He really does love me even though I am a mess, that I am more than the anxiety.
I've been reading Angie Smith's new book What Women Fear. As I read chapter 3 today I honestly felt like it was me she was talking about. I could have underlined every single sentence of the chapter, because every sentence I read I found myself saying, 'that's EXACTLY how I've felt. I am the one who hid the truth of my struggles, because I was ashamed of what other people would think of me if they really knew. I'm the one who knew Christ died for me...but didn't really believe I could be made new. I have felt worthless, hopeless, and empty.
And then, I read these words Angie wrote, "I know all of the names I have had in my life, but I also know the One Who can give me a new one." Because those words are exactly what God has been gently whispering in my heart every single day. "I know who you are, Stephanie. I know your struggles, I know your failures, I know your mess. And I still love you. I sent my Son to free you from those names and to give you a new name. You are my child and you are beautifully and wonderfully made new in me every single day."
I love the definition of the Greek word for new in the verse above: recently made, fresh, recent, unused, unworn. Unworn - without Him I am walking around in a body that is decaying from sin, worn down by all my failures and past mistakes; in Him I am unworn. Recently made - every single day He makes me new, forgiving the mistakes of yesterday and presenting me as recently made. Unused - instead of looking like a rag that is torn and broken from use and misuse, I am being made new, like a soft unused towel. Fresh - without Him I am a mess, dirty and ready to be thrown out; in Him I am fresh and new.
Fresh. Unused. Recently made. Unworn. Made new by the One who loved me while I was yet a sinner and still chose to die for me.
You will walk for the rest of your days telling the story of redemption, not in words or deed, but in your very existence. Not she who would have existed if not for that night, but, rather, she who chased Him in faith, and refused to let Him go. (Angie Smith)


No comments:
Post a Comment