Photo credit: knowhimonline
I'm joining the 31 Days series with a 31 Days of Devotions here. I've been struggling to find a way to write from my heart again, so I decided to begin where my heart is - His word. I will be sharing a different theme each day, sort of a word study of words of encouragement and hope that have meant a lot to me recently. Some days I may post more than once if there are other things I want to share about our day to day life, but there will always be a 31 Days post every day for the month of October. I hope you will join in every day and share your own thoughts. And, of course, for more 31 Days posts, go here.
Photo credit: tourisme_vezere
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)
God's ways are often hard to understand, because, as long as I live in the flesh, I have a human perspective that hinders me from understanding His perspective. I often pray for understanding and to see the world through His eyes and He has opened my eyes in many ways, but mostly it is just about trusting that He is good in all things and in all ways. Romans 8:28 is a beautiful reminder that His plans are always good for his children. My ESV study bible says, "The 'good' in this context does not refer to earthly comfort but conformity to Christy, closer fellowship with God, bearing good fruit for the kingdom, and final glorification".
I love the first part of Genesis 50:20, when Joseph is reunited with his brothers in Egypt, years after he was sold into slavery. He was able to forgive them because he knew that what they meant for evil, God meant for good. God was not surprised by Joseph's trials, just as He is not surprised by my own trials. God didn't cause Joseph's brothers to sin, but, because He wanted a relationship with man, they were allowed free choice...and they chose to sin. God used their sin for His glory, turning evil into good.
In the second part of Romans 8:28, Paul explains that God works all things together for good to those who are called by Him. I love the definition that Strong's gives for the word called: invited. Because of Christ's shed blood, He has invited us into His presence, declaring us righteous and holy and permitting us to stand before a perfect God. In Jude 1:1, the word called is followed by the word beloved. I love the picture it creates: that we who are loved are called, invited into the presence of a holy God.


No comments:
Post a Comment