Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tot School: A is for Acorn

We missed Tot School yesterday, because miss V was getting a cold and we were both feeling quite tired.  Today, we continued our letter A theme by doing some acorn activities and one more apple project.  First, I cut an apple in half and we talked about how the seeds inside an apple can be used to grow another apple tree.  (Tomorrow, we're going to attempt to "plant" one just for fun.)  Then, I let her stamp with the apple using some finger paints.  She loved it and kept saying "mommy, I do that!"

Tot School Week 1 #8

Next, we talked about other words that start with A like Almanzo and acorn.  A few weeks ago, she found an acorn at Ted's bike race so she recognized the picture of an acorn right away.  I found two A is for Acorn worksheets and let her color them in.  Instead of coloring in the A's like the rest of the sheet, she was really careful to draw straight lines and follow the lines of the letter.  Before I know it she'll be writing the letter A all by herself!

Tot School Week 1 #4

Tot School Week 1 #6

Tot School Week 1 #7

Finally, we did a cut and paste project with an acorn outline I drew on a sheet of white paper and scraps of paper cut out from a paper grocery bag.  I let her color in the grocery bag with a dark brown and light brown color and then tore each color into pieces so she could paste them onto the acorn outline.  Then, I cut out the finished acorn and mounted it onto a green piece of cardstock to display on the fridge.  She couldn't wait to show her daddy her projects when he got home.

Tot School Week 1 #5

She was also excited to begin a "new class" (Cubbies) at Awana tonight.  I'm feeling like I'm getting the cold Ted and Valerie have, so I decided to stay home tonight, but Ted brought her over and got her registered and I will pick her up later.  I almost cried seeing how grown up she looked as she went with daddy to her "new class".

First Day of Awana: Cubbies #1

First Day of Awana: Cubbies #2

PS - The wildfires in Texas today are dangerously close to where my brother-in-law and sister-in-law live (less than 10 miles away!).  So far, it's under control, but you just never know what a fire will do.  I know they would appreciate prayers for the fires to be contained and for their home to be safe...and for rain to relieve Texas from the drought causing all these fires. 

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, she is getting so big!! Love the acorn cut~out, I may try that with some tissue paper with Cheyenne =) Thanks for sharing your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete