Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Heart of Forgiveness

heart of forgiveness

What is forgiveness?  Recently, I realized I didn’t really know what it means or how to forgive.  So, I opened up His Word to see what He had to say about it.
“and forgive us our debts as we also forgive our debtors.” (Matthew 6:12)
He forgave us our debts, the sin that separates us from relationship with Him, a debt that could only be satisfied by the death of His son.  Because He forgave, we are called to forgive.
“Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him?  As many as seven times?”…”I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven”… (Matthew 18:21-22)
When Peter asked Jesus how often He was supposed to forgive, he thought he was being generous in saying seven, since the Jewish custom was to forgive someone three times.  But Jesus says we are to forgive seventy times seven times…or continually forgive someone no matter how many times they grieve us.  Because He forgave us even when we didn’t repent, even though we continue to sin, He still forgives us over and over.

“Judge not and you will not be judged; condemn not and you will not be condemned, forgive and you will be forgiven…For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” (Luke 6:37-38)
Want to read the rest of this post?  I'm being featured on one of my favorite blogs this morning, (in)courage, so come on over and visit me there




No comments:

Post a Comment