I was actually most nervous about the IV, because I have such small veins that often leave me with a collapsed vein or multiple pokes in order to get just one needle in. It made me nauseous that morning just thinking about it. I told my nurse, Gabriella, and she assured me she could get it on the first try. She also said she would put some medicine in initially to numb the area so I would only feel a slight poke. I was surprised at how little it actually hurt and thankful for how quickly she got it in and started. I did start to feel some burning when she started the fluids at first, but, after that I didn't feel anything...well, except the urge to go to the bathroom two times before I was actually wheeled into surgery. Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a very weak bladder, which only got worse after having two kids, and is often worse whenever I'm nervous. My nurse didn't tease me at all though and was super sweet to help me to the bathroom twice.
The anesthesiologist came in the room shortly after the IV was started to prep us for the surgery and the anesthesia. Before he came in, Ted saw him in the hallway and said he looked really familiar. Sure enough, he was the same anesthesiologist for my epidural with Almanzo's birth. He remembered us too, because of my unique history of heart surgery for coarctation of the aorta. All I remember is that he was really happy and talkative for the middle of the night...and I wasn't very happy after being in labor for so long. But, he did a great job with the epidural so we knew I was in good hands once again.
The surgery itself didn't start until well after 10, because my doctor didn't come in to see us until after 10. I don't remember much of what he said to us, because I was really starting to get nauseous from nerves. I was so thankful Ted was there with me, because he kept teasing me and making me laugh. He is always so calm about everything, so it really helped calm me too. Shortly after my doctor left the room to go prep for surgery, the surgery nurse came in to bring me to surgery. Ted kissed me goodbye and went to the waiting room while I was wheeled to surgery.
The first thing I noticed in the surgery room was how bright and cold it was. The nurse put some warm blankets on me right away and then helped me scoot over the surgery table. Then, the anesthesiologist put a mask over my mouth and nose to give me some oxygen and the last thing I remember was him telling me they were starting the anesthesia and it wouldn't take long. The next thing I knew the room was starting to spin and I could no longer keep my eyes open.
The first thing I remember after surgery is that my throat was so sore and dry (from the breathing tube used during surgery and the fact that I could only breathe through my mouth), I had a huge headache, and it felt like someone had punched me in the nose. The surgery nurse helped me take some pain medicine and also put some pain medicine through my IV. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open and the next thing I remember they were wheeling me to a recovery room where Ted was waiting for me. The pain medicine started making me feel really dizzy, so Ted helped me drink plenty of water. He asked if the doctor had come to talk to me, but I couldn't honestly remember if he had or not. Ted said the doctor told him the surgery went well, but it took longer than expected. It turns out, I had several polyps from chronic allergy problems that he had to clean out in addition to the expected repair of my deviated septum and cleaning out my sinuses. The doctor was glad he did the surgery, because he said it would really help me breathe better than I have for a long time. After talking a little while, my eyes started to feel heavy again, so Ted told me to rest while he called my mom to let her know the surgery went well.
I slept for a while and then my nurse brought me some crackers and more water. I wasn't feeling quite so dizzy so she helped me get up to go to the bathroom. Then, she helped me sit in the recliner until I was ready to get dressed. Ted helped me get dressed and then I sat to rest for a little while. My nurse came back in to give us discharge instructions and it's a good thing Ted was listening, because I could not keep my eyes open. At one point she teased me that she was putting me to sleep, but reminded me it was normal to feel sleepy from the anesthesia and because I was recovering from surgery.
Finally, the nurse brought me a wheelchair to bring me to the car while Ted pulled it up to the doors. On the way home, we stopped at Walgreens to pick up my antibiotics (a preventative measure after surgery and with my heart history) and pain medicine. He went inside instead of using the drive through so he could get some chicken broth to make chicken noodle soup. I slept in the car and the next thing I knew we were pulling into our driveway. He helped me walk into the house and sit down on the couch. It was almost 4 by the time we got home, so the kids were already up from nap and getting ready to eat a snack with Grandma.
Valerie was very concerned when she saw the bandage I had around my head to catch the blood drainage from my nose. Plus, I was pretty out of it, so she just kept staring at me from a distance. Almanzo, of course, was ready to jump up and say hello right away. My mom got ready to go home after giving the kids a snack. (Can I just say I have the BEST mom in the world? Thanks so much for all your help, Mom!) I took another 1 1/2 hour nap after Ted made me some mac and cheese. When I woke up, he helped me change the bandage and made some delicious chicken noodle and rice soup. He has been taking such good care of me; I am so thankful for him.
I had a rough night of sleep last night. It felt like I was trying to sleep with a horrible head cold. Around 4:30 am, I woke up in so much pain. I took some pain medicine and thought it would be nice to take a hot shower. I forgot how dizzy the pain medicine makes me at first...and almost passed out in the shower. Thankfully, Ted came to my rescue and helped me get dressed and propped up some pillows on the couch so I could sleep better. I finally got some good sleep and didn't wake up again until 7:30. I am feeling a little better today, but still sore and tired. I am thankful it is the weekend, so Ted is home with me and he has been so good to me. Thank you all who have been praying for me and checking in on me the last few days. I am so thankful for ALL of you...and, even more, I am so thankful for a God who provided doctors, surgery, and pain medicine to help me finally heal from these sinus problems.
PS - I hope this makes sense...if it doesn't, I'll blame it on the pain medicine. It's making me feel a little loopy. Ha!
That sounds like a long, exhausting day, but I'm glad everyone is taking great care of you! Hope you feel much better soon!
ReplyDeletehope you feel better soon!! glad it's over!
ReplyDeleteSounds like Ted is a really good hubby. I am so glad that he is taking good care of you. And it is nice to have your momma close too.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will be feeling better soon. Rest all that you can...and don't try to do things too soon.
Love, Linda