
Ted and I were talking about this study yesterday and I was telling him about the first time I studied Ephesians. I wasn't the typical college student who just wanted to get out, party, and have fun. When I started college, I was excited to find a church and begin to grow in my knowledge of His word. God led me to Trinity Baptist Church (literally, I had know idea where I was going and I walked from campus because I didn't have a car) and I instantly felt at home.
I was hungry for the truth and, thanks to my friend, Jenny, I was able to get a ride to church anytime there was a church service. On Wednesday nights, we went to Crossover, a college aged bible study. Regan, who has become a good friend of ours, was walking through the book of Ephesians with us.
I hung on every truth he shared and was amazed at the knowledge and love for the Lord that spilled forth from him. The book of Ephesians challenged me and encouraged me to grow into the woman of faith God desired me to be. And now, God is using the book of Ephesians to continue the work He began in me many years ago.
There is so much to cover in chapter 6 of Ephesians, which is divided up into four distinct sections. The first two sections continue the discussion of submission to authority. Verses 1-4 focus on children honoring their parents and parents bringing their children up in the ways of the Lord. As I read these verses I was drawn to the phrases "in the Lord" and "of the Lord". As children, we honor God by obeying our parents, because He commands us to obey our parents. As parents, we honor God by nurturing, teaching, training, bringing up our children to know and understand the ways of the Lord.
Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." This is a huge challenge to me, because I know He has given me a huge responsibility in raising my children in His ways. Yesterday, Ted found me reading my bible for the second time during the day and he said, "You read your bible a lot" to which I responded, "That's because I need to; it helps me put my focus where it belongs...and I don't know how to be the mother and wife I need to be; I need Him."
The next section, verses 5-9, talks about how slaves and their masters are supposed to interact. To understand these verses, you have to understand who Paul was speaking to. Slavery was commonplace in that time and, according to my ESV study bible notes, slaves were probably "one third of the population in a city like Ephesus". Paul does not condone slavery, but instructs believing slaves and their masters on how they should relate to each other in the Lord.
The key phrase in these verses is something that can challenge each and every one of us - "as to the Lord". God places authority in our lives and we are to serve them "...with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free" (verses 5-8). When we are the authority (such as parents) we are to, in turn, treat those placed in authority under us as to the Lord, because we both serve the same Master and "there is no partiality with him" (verse 9).
The next section is one of my favorites. Verses 10-20 talks about putting on the full armor of God. As Christians, we need to be aware that there is a very real and ever present spiritual battle going on. While the sins of our flesh no longer have a hold over us, we are still fighting against the "spiritual forces of evil" and "cosmic powers" of darkness. We can't ignore the battle, because Satan would love to gain a foothold in our lives. We need to be prepared and fully armed for battle.
How can we be ready? First, we must be strong in the Lord, because He gives us the strength to stand up against the schemes of the devil. We do not need to rely on human resources, but on God's resources. Colossians 2:15 says "He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him." We are not fighting a losing battle, because He has already won the victory!
So, then, we should stand firm by using the resources God has given us in His son to fight this battle. These resources are:
- belt of truth
- breastplate of righteousness
- readiness of the gospel of peace on our feet
- shield of faith
- helmet of salvation
- sword of the Spirit (Hebrews 4:12)
Paul finishes his letter to the Ephesians with four things he desires for the people to have an abundance of: peace, love, faith, and grace. We should have peace in the Lord that causes us to fear nothing and be assured of the hope we have in Him. We love each other through affection and goodwill to each other. We need to have faith - to trust and believe in our Lord and Savior. And, finally, we should remember the grace He has given us, His favor and merciful kindness while we were yet sinners.
So much good stuff...loving it and loved reading your blog today!
ReplyDelete