Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tastes & Smells of Christmas

I'm linking yup with my blogging friend, Joye, for another edition of the Five Senses of Christmas. This week, the theme is The Tastes & Smells of Christmas.

In an effort to give unique gifts with a handmade or homemade touch, I decided to make gifts in a jar for several of our friends.  One of the mixes I'm making is Breakfast Muffin in a Jar.

The first step to making this special gift is to gather your supplies:


Dried Fruit (I chose dried cranberries), Flour, Quick Cooking Oats, Brown Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt, Baking Powder


Large Jar (with lid), Ribbon, Rubber Band (not pictured), Fabric Square


Next, layer the ingredients like sand art:


1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup quick cooking oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup dried fruit


Now, add a festive touch by placing the fabric square on top.  Secure it with a rubber band and tie a ribbon around it to hide the rubber band:


You may want to trim the fabric a little so it's more rounded.


Finally, make a gift tag with the directions on how to make some delicious Breakfast Muffins:




I found this recipe here, but, as usual modified it to make it my own.  You can find more recipes here.  These make wonderful gifts, because they are homemade and delicious too!

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. ~Psalm 34:8

By the way, don't forget to enter my Blogiversary Giveaway and link up with my A Very Etsy Christmas post!


6 comments:

  1. I love it! What a great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely the most wonderful gift!! What a treat! And it looks pretty too! I really think this is fabulous and I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for the tip, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift! Super cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great gift idea! I made these years ago for friends... I think it's time to do it again! Your babies are precious!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea! I'm doing a lot of homemade stuff this year too as gifts. I don't bake much, so I'm hoping it will all work out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just reading the words 'breakfast muffin in a jar' has me liking it!!

    ReplyDelete