Today has been a WONDERFUL day filled with many improvements for our Little Pumpkin. When we arrived at the hospital, he was wide awake, moving around, and ready to eat. The nurse told us that he was not satisfied with his feeding tube during the night, so they started feeding him a bottle. Since the bottle went so well, the doctor agreed this morning that he was ready to nurse. So, at his 11:30 feeding, I was able to nurse him (and supplement with a little formula until my milk supply comes in). What a joy it was to be able to have that moment with my son! He knew just what to do and was very eager to drink mommy's milk. He has been nursing at every feeding today and we've gradually decreased the amount of formula we supplement with as my milk supply has begun to increase.
Loving his daddy
Our "wireless" baby boy
He also was able to have the oxygen tube removed, so he is now breathing completely on his own. It sounds like his lungs were just a little immature and the medicine they gave him yesterday was just what he needed to get his lungs working right. They've also pretty much ruled out an infection, so he was able to have the IV in his belly button removed since he no longer needs antibiotics. Then, he was able to move from the isolet bed to a crib...and we were able to bring him into a family room so we could spend time with him outside of the hospital room. Right now, he is sleeping peacefully in his daddy's arms after getting a full belly of mommy's milk. The doctor told us earlier that once his lungs were working well, the only thing keeping us from going home would be how well he could eat on his own too. He is doing SO much better with nursing that his big sister did at first, so we are hoping and praying we can go home really soon. Thank you so much for ALL your prayers and encouragement...we are so thankful to serve such a mighty God. He is so faithful and has blessed us so much with our precious son - we look forward to introducing him to many of you who have been praying for him...and to going home as a family of four.
Thank you, Melissa, for taking care of our Sweet Pea all weekend! What a blessing it was to know she was in such good hands!
Almanzo's sweet nurse, Tracy, who cared for him like he was her own son. She truly understood what we were going through too, as two of her sons are NICU graduates as well.
What beautiful pictures you captured today of him!!!!! He's soooo adorable!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to hear you all had a good day and so many improvements were made! Praying you're headed home VERY soon!
So glad to know he is doing better! Lots of prayers answered!
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful! I'm so glad to hear he's breathing on his own! And he looks so alert, like he's really coming into himself. What good news! What a sweetheart.
ReplyDeleteLisa (and Ilker and Erencan)
awesome to hear the good news; we will continue praying and are hoping to see him and you soon!
ReplyDeleteOh the wonderful news! Such a joy to hear of Almanzo's progress. I know you much just be smitten at this ability to nurse and be close with you. He must be feeling much more comfortable as well!
ReplyDeleteStephanie, that's wonderful news!!! I'm praising God with you and hoping you'll be home very soon. YEAH! Thank you Lord!
ReplyDeleteLynnette
Oh my.....you had me in tears over here, just thanking God for his blessings! What a beautiful and precious son you have, Stephanie! That is such wonderful news and I will continue to pray that he gets to go home soon! I am so happy for you and your sweet family :) God is so amazing and awesome!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a wonderful update. Talk about the Lord going above and beyond!!! I am so excited for you that nursing is off to a great start. I know how that can be a little tricky at first!
ReplyDeleteSo excited that everything is going so well! It looks like you guys will get to take your little guy home before you know it! Praise God!
From your Aunt Carla:
ReplyDeleteThis is just wonderful news, and such a beautiful baby boy!! *smiles* So happy to hear this--can't wait to meet him! :)
(FYI, John & I will be in Hilbert for Thanksgiving--not sure if you will be there or not...but I hope so! :))
What a beautiful baby boy (yes I agree with you that baby boys can be beautiful)! I haven't been on the computer for a couple of days, so I was so excited to see that your little man had arrived then teary eyed as I read your updates. I'm so glad that he is doing so much better, excited that he's nursing well, and praying that he will continue to improve and you will all be able to go home soon! Just watch... it won't be long before he catches up to Barrett and the two will be playing together! (ok, it might be a couple of months, but that time goes so fast!)
ReplyDeletePraise God! I am praying for you all right now....
ReplyDeleteLove,
Angela