
I just read a blog post by a fellow blogger, Diaper Diaries, I follow on Twitter and thought it would be fun to join in on her "Labor Day Meme". (But, can someone explain to me what the word "meme" means...maybe it's the pregnancy brain, but I'm totally clueless...)
How long were your labors?
I was in labor for 20 hours...and I was only 5 cm after about 15 hours...NOT fun. I also pushed for 1 1/2 hours...straight...
I'm thinking this baby boy should just fly right out in...oh, under 3 hours...don't you?
How did you know you were in labor?
I was ten days overdue...and not even a 1/2 cm dilated, so I was induced. I didn't actually start having contractions until after the doctor broke my water (which is not a pleasant experience, I might add...)
Ted says my water will probably break in the middle of the night for baby #2, because most babies like to come in the middle of the night, right?
Where did you deliver?
At the hospital, which is less than a mile from our house...but after the flood of July 2008, we contemplated borrowing a boat in case I went into labor before the water went down.
Drugs?
I wanted to go natural, with no drugs or interventions...but, obviously, my plans changed when I was ten days overdue, not dilated...and then experienced the WORST back labor. I opted for an epidural after almost 15 hours of labor and only being 5 cm dilated.I'm still hoping to go natural with baby #2, but my husband says I won't be able to handle it (thanks for the support, sweetheart ;)...we shall see...
C-section?
I was worried the doctor would opt for one after such a long labor and when I got a 105 degree fever from the epidural, but I was bound and determined to push her out on my own. So, obviously I can't have an epidural this time (not that I want one...because I truly wanted to do it without drugs). And I was doing well without drugs until I had back labor (thanks to Valerie being "sunny side up"). I'm praying for an easier delivery this time...
Who delivered?
My OB was there until her shift was over and then the on call doctor came. He was really great though and told me from the beginning that he would listen to me and if I wanted drugs he'd give them to me, but if not he totally understood my desire to have a natural birth. I think he was getting a little nervous when I had such a high fever and the labor was so long...plus Valerie started to get a little distressed too.I hope you are all enjoying your Labor Day. My hubby and Sweet Pea woke up at 9 am, so we had a yummy brunch of pancakes, eggs, and banana nut muffins with orange juice and coffee (and whole milk for Sweet Pea, of course). Ted packed up his bike for our Boston trip next week (and Sweet Pea LOVED watching and "helping" him with it in the middle of the living room). Now, we are attempting to make a diaper sprayer for the bathroom while she naps. If all goes well, I will post the directions and pictures later - and explain exactly what a diaper sprayer is too. This afternoon we also hope to visit my grandparents to check in on my grandpa after his bypass surgery and my great grandma who always loves to have visitors. I'll be sure to take pictures and share them later this week too. Finally, don't forget to enter my Mama Bear Baby Wear giveaway - it ends Thursday at noon (CST).
I sure hope this one goes easier on you, Stephanie! I'm curious to know what a diaper sprayer is too. Have fun visiting your Grandpa!
ReplyDeleteThis IS cute, perfect for Labor Day! Very interesting facts! I was only 3cm dilated after 16 hours. So we DID end up doing a C-section. Glad that yours worked out!! BTW – Love your blog!
ReplyDeleteI hope that you have a much easier delivery this time around. They say the second time around is usually much quicker so hopefully that is the case for you!
ReplyDelete