Before Valerie and I head out for a mini-vacation with my family...where I will have virtually no cell phone or internet access...I thought I'd post about the WORS race last weekend.
We arrived in River Falls, WI on Saturday late afternoon. It was about a 5 hour drive - the furthest distance we've driven for a race. Valerie and I rested in the hotel room while Ted went out for a short ride around the course and to register for the race. I attempted to get Valerie to take a nap...but she simply played in the Pack n' Play while I rested on the bed. She was making me laugh too, because she kept peaking over the edge of the Pack n' Play and babbling to get my attention. I would see her little hands and then her head would pop up with a big smile. Silly girl!
For dinner, we ate at a really cute and YUMMY little cafe called Spoon & Dish Cafe in downtown River Falls. We ordered an appetizer of pita bread and red pepper hummus and shared a meal of chicken and wild rice with veggies. It was DELICIOUS - almost as good as our anniversary dinner in Marquette. The next morning, we decided to stop there before going to the race to get some sandwiches to go for lunch. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich with chips and a pickle (cuz I'm pregnant, remember? ;) and Ted ordered a roast beef sandwich. When we arrived at the course, Ted helped Valerie and I find a place to sit where I could do water bottle hand-ups. It turns out the best spot for hand-ups was at the top of a steep hill...and I wasn't about to climb it. Thankfully, the dad of one of his teammates, Cameron, offered to do his hand-ups, so I sat in the shade where I could see part of the course and the finish chute. I chatted with Cameron's dad and mom throughout the race and was thankful Valerie took a short nap in her stroller too.
Ted was hoping to take the "holeshot", since his latest nickname was "Holeshot Hanes", but he ended up being third as they headed up the first steep hill. For some reason, he said he wasn't feeling right the first two laps, so he was sitting in 17th by the time we saw him. Sometime after the second lap, however, he says he remembered he was "here to race", and finally finished in 10th place (and 2nd in his age group). Here are some pictures from the race:
***
Also, here a few pictures I've taken since we got back from vacation:
(They live in Maine and this was their first visit back to Wisconsin since Eden was born - he's now 6 months old!)
Eden was excited about Valerie's ball...and she wasn't quite sure what to think of him...
(I just can't get enough of these pictures - she loves her daddy...and he LOVES being her daddy!)
***
By the way, I just received news that my Grandpa was able to sit up in a chair last night and should be moved to his own room today. He is in good spirits and says he's not in too much pain (though I'm sure the pain meds are masking a lot of the pain...I know from experience!). He's anxious to get better soon. My Aunt Mary says, "He is looking pretty darn good, considering all that happened." Thank you SO much for all your prayers!
***
One more thing - I am officially in the THIRD trimester of my pregnancy. As of Tuesday, I will be 31 weeks. I can hardly believe this little one will be making his appearance in less than TEN weeks! Part of me is anxious to meet him...and part of me is thankful to have more time to prepare to be a mom of two. I've been experiencing a lot of lower back pain with this pregnancy, so, if you think of me, I would love prayer in that regard. I got a prenatal massage this past week, but it was only a temporary relief. I'm looking into seeing a chiropractor, on the recommendation of a good friend who also sees one during her pregnancy. I keep wondering how I will handle labor again if my back is already in pain...
Ha! You crack me up about the pickle because you're pregnant. LOL! Valerie looks so cute walking around! Glad to hear your Grandpa is doing well. I said a prayer for your back pain! Have a safe vacation!
ReplyDelete