"...Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm
me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now
being done, the saving of many lives. So, then, don't be afraid. I
will provide for you and your children..." (Genesis 50:19-21)
Joseph had been thrown into a well and left for dead, but then sold as a slave and sent to Egypt by his own brothers. He became a servant in Potiphar's house (one of Pharaoh's officials) and was put in jail after being wrongly accused by Potiphar's wife. While in jail, he interpreted the dreams of two other prisoners. He told the chief baker, who's dream said he would be restored to his former position, to remember him and get him out of prison. The chief baker, however, forgot him and he spent another two years in prison before finally being released by the Pharaoh himself. Joseph had MANY reasons to be angry at his brothers and to hold a grudge against them. But Joseph realized that God was using his trials for a much bigger and greater purpose.
Pharaoh's dream revealed to him that there would be seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine. God allowed Joseph to interpret the dream and help Pharaoh prepare for the years of famine. Joseph's family was facing starvation and death. Without the help of Egypt's storehouses of grain, his family would have died. But God foresaw these events and put Joseph in the right place at the right time. He used the evil purposes of Joseph's brothers for good.
As I read this passage I was reminded that God does the same thing today. Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose". Notice it says "all things" because God can use any situation for the good of His people. As I've prayed for the Stamps family, all the emotions came rushing back from our days in the NICU with Valerie. I remember wondering why it was happening to us, but God intended it for good. God used that trial to grow my faith, to grow our marriage, and ultimately to bring Him glory. So many family and friends covered us in prayers and our faith was really put to the test. Still, I never once doubted His sovereignty, knowing He never once ceased to be in control. He will do the same in your lives. He is never surprised by our circumstances, because He knows the plans He has for us and He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it (Jeremiah 29:11, Philippians 1:6).
No comments:
Post a Comment