My mom, my sister, Kelly, and my brother, Dan, tagged along to watch DJ race in the morning. He was SO nervous all night and all morning before the race. Both Ted and I kept telling him that was a good thing and reminded him that Ted still gets nervous before a race. I would be worried if he DIDN'T tell me "I'm SO nervous" as we drive to a race. DJ decided to ride Ted's GT Golden Bike...which may have possibly made him even more nervous as everyone was stopping him to check out the bike before the race. Ted even introduced him to Don, the WORS director, as well as several of the Elite racers he competes with and some of his Fond du Lac Cyclery teammates. I've been told several people were impressed he chose this race for his WORS debut, because it was a very tough course.
Here are some pictures of DJ and Ted before the Citizen race as well as some pictures of DJ during his race...
Getting nervous...
Why, oh WHY did I let Ted talk me into this...
Dan and Kelly waiting for DJ to come through the woods
DJ coming through the woods...almost too fast for the camera!
He's a hard-core mountain biker now!
Happy to finally make it to the finish, I'm sure!
Adrenaline rush making him think for a brief second that it wasn't so bad after all...
DJ put forth a great effort and we are all proud of him for taking on the challenge, despite very little training beforehand. And, of course, Ted and I are trying to convince him to try out some more races next year. He said it was one of the hardest things he's ever done (though both he and Ted agreed they'd rather do a mountain bike race or run a marathon than give birth - ha!)...but I think once the memory of the pain wears off he will consider doing another race.
Ted's race was in the afternoon and only Dan and DJ stayed to watch his race. (My mom had to drive Kelly back to college - thanks so much for hanging out with us, Kelly - we really enjoyed your visit!) Here are some pictures they took during his race (or rather, pictures Dan took while DJ was sleeping off the pain and exhaustion of his first race!)...
So sleepy...
A rare pre-race smile...mostly because this was before DJ's race and he had some time to relax before thinking about his own race...
Bring it on!
A typical start to an elite race
A great action shot taken by my brother (thanks, Dan!)
Elite Men Overall Finishers
Ted finished FIFTH, which puts him in FIFTH place for the series overall results - a great accomplishment from his 14th place series overall finishes the past few years! Way to go, Ted! Only one more race to go...and a possibility for Ted to secure a 5th place position in the overall series standings...it will be an exciting last race!
And, for your viewing pleasure, I will leave you with a few pictures of the beauty that is Wisconsin in the fall...
Double rainbow on the way back to my parent's house
Fall colors
Fall colors
Fifth place! Way to go Ted!
ReplyDeleteBeen meaning to get back to you to tell you that yes, I've been having a little trouble occasionally with my dashboard updating. Don't know why it's been doing that!
ReplyDeleteAnyhow...hope you're having a good week and I will talk to you later!
P.S. Love the pic of the double rainbow!
WOW!! I am really impressed
ReplyDeleteWhy to go TED!! woo hoo!! Sounds like a fantastic time.
ReplyDeleteStopping by to say hello! :)
Grissell
stay-at-homemomwhoknew.blogspot.com
Oh wow Ted!!! That is soooo great! I really like the shot of DJ sleeping, too funny! Glad you got yourself some rest. I am so hoping that the next time I check your blog I will see a gorgeous little boy!
ReplyDelete